Sign in with
Your question

ATI 7.10 Drivers acting strange

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2007 10:13:30 PM

So I cleared out all the old drivers, installed the new ones and it screwed up my monitor colour temps and brightness and contrasts and everything. The numbers are still showing as what they should in CCC etc., but nothing looked sharp or clear.
So then I uninstalled the new drivers and everything went back to normal, looking clear and defined and good colours. I went back to 7.9 and again the same thing as above. Uninstalled them too and back to normal.

So, I have cleared out all traces of drivers etc. I have NO drivers running for my X1600 512MB now. BUT, everything seems to be running fine. Can play Doom3 just like before, Civ4, HalfLife2, etc...everyhting is fine, but I have no drivers installed.

What the heck is going on? I'm not a noob at this, but this is the first time I've run games without drivers!

October 13, 2007 3:31:01 PM

you have the default drivers of windows, but they work fine.

Try installing an older version of the drivers, try 7.7 because for me version 7.8,7.9 and 7.10 didn't work at all.
Related resources
October 13, 2007 7:29:11 PM

I had my 2900pro oced to XT speeds, i have xp and vista but now in vista after installing 7.10 its reading at 510mhz core and 511 memory

????? what gives, and i see that the defaults are higher. i even lunched an game to see if it would go up, but it didnt anyone else have this problem?

FOrget it, its working now, after a reboot, but the OC went away, just had to redo it for some reason :o 
October 13, 2007 8:28:13 PM

When upgrading drivers, it is always best to reset the hardware to factory specs before uninstall and new driver install.
October 13, 2007 8:43:25 PM

norV said:
I had my 2900pro oced to XT speeds, i have xp and vista but now in vista after installing 7.10 its reading at 510mhz core and 511 memory

????? what gives, and i see that the defaults are higher. i even lunched an game to see if it would go up, but it didnt anyone else have this problem?

FOrget it, its working now, after a reboot, but the OC went away, just had to redo it for some reason :o 

The 2900's drop the core and memory speed in 2D mode and thats the speed that is displayed in your driver. The driver shows the current speed only. You only get the full clocks when you're running a 3D program. This saves a TON of power. This is the whole idea between voltage level transitions and a reduced 2D clock. If you've noticed, R600's draw a small amount of power at idle and 2D-only work loads.
October 13, 2007 9:52:24 PM

I just installed catalyst 7.10 yesterday. They seem to work well on Guild Wars and HL2. I'll have to see how they perform in my other games, and leave an updated post.
October 13, 2007 11:47:49 PM

Have no problems with any of the latest Catalyst drivers, however I haven't overclocked my x1600Pro, so that might be the issue.
October 14, 2007 1:45:10 AM

To the guy who lives by omega drivers: They are GREAT if you have an old card like my old 9600xt but for an hd2900xt i will stick with catalyst. I wont let my new card near drivers that AMD did not make.
October 14, 2007 4:08:24 AM

Rabidpeanu ; indeed, for XP user better stick to omega drivers.
!