choice of motherboards

ayejimlad

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hi

I am building a new system with the following components:

Core 2 Duo e6750 w/ arctic freezer 7
74GB WD Raptor
4 x 1GB DDR2 RAM (havent decided which brand yet)
gefore 8600gt
Windows Vista

I need advice on the motherboard, i see 3 choices but im not sure. I started looking 2 weeks ago, at first i thought Abit ip35 pro, then after more looking around forums i thought ga-p35-ds3r, after more reading forums i have been thinking asus p5k-e. I think i need some help...

So i see my options as follows: IP35-Pro, DS3R/DS4, P5K-E.

I will be using the pc for mainly day to day usage of internet, MS office, and gaming. I have no experience of overclocking, but i would like to overlock this e6750 to 3.2 ghz. So a motherboard that allows me to do this easily would be wanted. As for memory overlocking, i dont really know much about it. I don't ever want to use RAID or DDR3. Finally i want a reliable motherboard (who doesnt).

So im looking for a motherboard that is easy to overclock and reliable. Also could someone explain what the main differences are between the Gigabyte ds3r and ds4 is please?

Could i have a short pros and cons for each of the motherboards please? or a comparison? Feel free to reccommend a different motherboard and/or reccomend any decent memory for a particular motherboard.

Many thanks in advance.

I would download the board manuals and read some of both. Overclocking is a matter of trial and result; it's not a 5 minute procedure. Same for board research. Only you know what features you need, and reading the manual will let you know what adjustments are available for overclocking. I've read alot of posts from people who weren't happy with their overclock results. I gave it up. It's a mild addiction that doesn't always yield expected results. The general procedure for overclocking is that you've got to drop your memory speed some in order to overclock the cpu, so the overall result is less than what some folks expect. The p35 boards have built in ratios for the memory/cpu, so overclocking is actually easier, but again, don't expect your scores to go up as much as your overclock.