Sign in with
Your question

New Budget Gaming Rig; Opinions?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
November 15, 2012 12:47:45 PM

Hello everyone. I'm planning on creating a decently powered gaming rig, and would like some input from the community. I'm a working university student so my budget is quite limited, therefore I tried to save wherever possible. Also this will be my first built computer, so I apologize in advance if I'm not too knowledgeable in areas. I tried to keep the rig under 1000, but I understand that it is hard to do so. I'd be willing to go to about 1050$ or so, but would really like to keep it under 1k.

At any rate, here is my rig, taken from PCPartsPicker:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.05 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.79 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX)

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Apevia X-TRPJR-BK/450 ATX Mid Tower Case w/450W Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $962.77

Rationale: I want a powerful processor that gives the most bang for its buck, so I chose the 3570k over the 3570, just because it's only 10 dollars more and provides more. As for the CPU Cooler, I'm not too sure as to which brands are the best, so I chose one that seemed to have decent ratings. The motherboard was recommended to me by a friend. Definitely not the cheapest one, but he said that motherboards should not be skimped out upon. If there is an alternative for it, I'm open to suggestions. Memory-wise, I'm fine with 8gb seeing as how it should be more than enough. I think the corsair vengeance is a good choice, but let me know otherwise. As for storage, I decided not to go with SSD just because I would like to have all my data conveniently located in my PC, and I don't have the money to go with both SSD and a normal storage HD. The video card I have decided upon as an alternative to the GTX 670. The benchmarks looked very similar, and on specific occasions it would even beat the 670. Seeing as how I'm going for a budget build, the extra 80$ or so off was a lifesaver.

Iffy: I'm trying to find a decent looking case for around the price range of 40-55$, and the Apevia Trooper looked nice. However, I am aware that the PSU would be held at the top, and that there is also no USB 3.0 slot. If there's some nice cases for around the price range, please let me know. I was originally planning to choose the NZXT Phantom 410, if it gives you an idea of what style chassis I'd like. Something unique, yet not weird to look at.

I'm also very iffy on the power supply. I consulted with one of my friends about this yesterday, and it seems that thermaltake is not a good choice for a PSU. What kind of PSU would I need? Since I went with the 7950 instead of the 670, I think a smaller power supply would be better, but I wouldn't mind a bit extra just to make sure that I have enough. I'd also like to be able to OC the 7950 if needed, so how would that effect my PSU decision? Would I need a much bigger wattage? I was thinking about changing to the Corsair CX600 if this thermaltake one was not sufficient enough...

As far as I'm concerned, PCPartsPicker finds me the cheapest sites, but if there are any big sites out there that are good for buying from, I could use a link or two. I mainly just browse NCIX and Newegg, sometimes memoryexpress since there's one really close to me, but the deals are mediocre at best :/ 
November 20, 2013 3:46:43 PM

Well you will have to change your mobo for this, but for $50 more you could get the i5-4670k which is the newest and best intel processor. Overall this build looks pretty good.
!