Sign in with
Your question

GA-P35-DQ6: Realtek HD doesn't detect speakers

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2007 9:22:43 PM

Well.

I've just installed a new motherboard, and when I thought I was done installing drivers for the audio (realtek hd audio drivers and windows HD drivers), I find that no sound is emitting from anywhere.

In the blueish control panel for hd audio, it says that no speakers are connected.
But, they are indeed.
3 minjacks (front, back, sub/center) is connected, a coax is connected and i even found an old optical cable i connected. (these are connected to a logitech thx receiver which works perfectly when connecting a stand alone dvd-player, using the same cables. I even plugged in my headset directly in the green front audio jack, but no..)
Still, no sound.

It *seems* perfectly ok, cause winamp is playing, the test function is displaying "sound" in the speakers and there is no exclamation marks in the device manager.

But there's no sound. None at all.

How can that be?

(Yes, azalia is enabled in bios)
October 19, 2007 11:22:17 PM

Check you Realtek software and make sure nothing is muted. Try it with just a set of computer speakers using the Front (green) connection on the sound card. If this works, then it's the connection to the receiver.
October 19, 2007 11:38:41 PM

Been there, done that.

I really cannot find any mixer or volume bar that's not tweaked all the way up.

I've also connected my headset directly to the front lineout jack, but without so much as a beep.

Although, when the system is booting up, I can hear a slight sound from the speakers as if a small voltage surge reached the speakers.
(Probably from the azalia booting or something)

Related resources
October 20, 2007 12:12:37 AM

Is the audio enabled in the BIOS? If it is, I'd delete the Realtek software and drivers, remove the card, reboot, reinstall the card and drives and software. But again I'd start with just a set of computer speakers. If it works, then run it to the receiver. I have my card connected to my receiver but always troubleshoot with a pair of computer speakers.
October 20, 2007 12:18:10 AM

Ok, i'll give it a try.

(Even though i *have* reinstalled the drivers twice, but not by completely removing the hardware and disabling it in bios)

Buy the way, there is one more issue.
There were a cable in the cabinet which were meant to connect the front panel audio jacks with the onboard sound controller.
Do you think it would help if I removed it?

The cable had two ends, one marked azalia, and one marked AC97.
(Only the azalia one fit, so there wasn't much doubt really)
October 20, 2007 12:41:04 AM

You want to make sure the audio is enabled in the BIOS not disabled, sorry for the confusion. I would disconnect the cable from the case to see if that is the problem. I ran into a similar problem with an Audigy 2 ZS, the default was set to digital and to get it to work had to set it to analogue. If you have updated drivers and no yellow or red in Device Manager really sounds like a software settings or a speaker connection problem but not likely a connection problem if you just have two computer speakers connected to the green port on the card. Try a different sound card always possible the onboard card is bad. Try the card in a different slot as well. I generally find that as often as not starting starting from scratch and testing each step is the best way to trouble shoot something like this. It sounds like you've got a lot of connections and really need to start with one and go from there, e.g., your optical connection may require different settings than your analogue and there could be a conflict there. If I understand you, you have the card connected to a receiver and it's possible it's a receiver but again, I would only connect the green out for the front speakers to the receiver if you can get the computer speakers working or just the optical out.
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2007 12:58:12 AM

Check your device manager and make sure you don't have any problems there. If all is well you shouldn't see any yellow exclamation marks!.

Next would be to bring up the realtek HD effects manager and check the config on your rear panel...
There is an audio test function in there as well as your optical and digital settings.

I'm running the same sound and it's awesome!

Does your board support auto sensing on the jacks?

If all else fails, download the latest drivers from the mobo manufacturers site, uninstall the current drivers.
Defrag your 'c' drive and install the new drivers.....if everythings correct the restart will begin with the windows shut down sound.
October 20, 2007 1:17:46 AM

Firstly, thank you very much g-paw, for your time and effort :) 

Secondly, i have to complete some downloads and then i need a few hour sleep (it's 3AM, and i've been working with installations and drivers etc since 4PM).
But i have hopes :p 

I'm looking forward to start from scratch really. It's been awkwardly quiet in my appartment today

-Yngve
October 20, 2007 1:25:52 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
Check your device manager and make sure you don't have any problems there. If all is well you shouldn't see any yellow exclamation marks!.

Next would be to bring up the realtek HD effects manager and check the config on your rear panel...
There is an audio test function in there as well as your optical and digital settings.

I'm running the same sound and it's awesome!

Does your board support auto sensing on the jacks?

If all else fails, download the latest drivers from the mobo manufacturers site, uninstall the current drivers.
Defrag your 'c' drive and install the new drivers.....if everythings correct the restart will begin with the windows shut down sound.

The device manager is clear and happy. No red x's or yellow exclamation marks.
I've been *thoroughly* through the HD Effects manager, but i cant find anything that should mute the sound in any way. I've pressed the test-button *at least* 50 times today with different effects, different outputs, different speakers and so forth. I can clearly see the speakers in the animation lighting up, as an indication of playback on that particular speaker, but no way that any sound is coming out of those outputs.

The latest drivers are already installed (1,79 from realtek.com.tw (1,72 on gigabyte's page)).
Tomorrow, as i mentioned in an earlier post, i will try to disconnect an internal cable that connects the front panel jacks to the motherboard. I hope that resolved the situation in the case of anything else failing.

but really, thank you for your suggestions.
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2007 1:41:20 AM

Are you running any usb headphone/mic combination?

My brother had the same problem when he bought a set of Logitech usb headphons/mic setup.
For some reason the usb shuts down the signal to all speakers. I tried to fix this with him for 3 hours!
Fianally he just went without the Logitechs and bought a 9.00 standard mic /headset.
October 20, 2007 1:43:32 AM

Hm.

I have a usb/bluetooth keyboard and an external usb harddrive.
Do you think that maybe one of those is responsible?
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2007 2:00:50 AM

USB devices for one reason or another can do weird things with hardware.
If you re-install your sound drivers make sure that all USB devices are removed and only your speakers/headset is connected...
October 20, 2007 9:43:38 AM

Well, now i've unplugged the internal cable for the front panel connectors, uninstalled all drivers, deactivated azalia in Bios, and rebooted the system a couple of time.

Then performing the same tasks in the opposite way (minus the front panel cable), but still no sound even though everything seems perfectly ok.

Edit:
Now I've connected a super cheap USB sound card, which works perfectly.
(But the sound quality sucks though)
October 20, 2007 12:22:54 PM

Twinflower said:
Well, now i've unplugged the internal cable for the front panel connectors, uninstalled all drivers, deactivated azalia in Bios, and rebooted the system a couple of time.

Then performing the same tasks in the opposite way (minus the front panel cable), but still no sound even though everything seems perfectly ok.

Edit:
Now I've connected a super cheap USB sound card, which works perfectly.
(But the sound quality sucks though)

Given you've done about everything you can to troubleshoot and the USB sound card works, very good possibility it's the mobo. I would RMA it. Keep in mind no matter how good a mfg reputation, no one is perfect and if you like the mobo, I'd get the same one.
October 20, 2007 2:55:22 PM

Yeah, I just might do so.
Thanks for all your effort.
October 20, 2007 3:33:54 PM

Twinflower said:
Yeah, I just might do so.
Thanks for all your effort.

Wish we could have come up with a better solution. If you RMA it, let's us know if that fixes the problem.
October 21, 2007 11:25:53 AM

I came to think of something.

If something is defect, what would that be?
It can't be the chip, cause HD manager is working perfectly. It could perhaps be one or maybe two of the mini jacks, but *none* of the outputs are working. Not line out front, line out back, center/sub, optical NOR coaxial.

I mean, wouldnt that be to much of a coincident?
October 21, 2007 12:00:06 PM

Twinflower said:
I came to think of something.

If something is defect, what would that be?
It can't be the chip, cause HD manager is working perfectly. It could perhaps be one or maybe two of the mini jacks, but *none* of the outputs are working. Not line out front, line out back, center/sub, optical NOR coaxial.

I mean, wouldnt that be to much of a coincident?

I've gotten to the point with computers that when I hit a problem like this and have to RMA something, I don't even wonder why it's happening. While this doesn't answer your question, at least for me, it reduces my frustration and makes it easier to put it behind me and move on. Find this especially comfortable when including a couple of beers. :) 
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2007 12:21:06 AM

I wish I could hjelp you further but I'm at a loss for words about your problem.
I'm running Foxconn boards and they are the best!
4 installs andnot one glitch....not even a hichup!
I hope foxconn keeps on making the killer boards...
October 22, 2007 1:32:13 PM

yeah, me too.

I'm seriously considering sending a RMA request now, despise all my effort in building this system (it took me like two days, and it got really crowded in my chassis),
October 22, 2007 4:10:59 PM

Twinflower said:
yeah, me too.

I'm seriously considering sending a RMA request now, despise all my effort in building this system (it took me like two days, and it got really crowded in my chassis),

While it's really stupid, I always feel that to RMA something is admitting defeat because I can't solve a problem. On the other hand, after you've done everything you can to solve the problem it's the best thing to do because you avoid wasting a any more time. Once you get the new mobo it shouldn't take you nearly as long to reinstall things, the more you do it, the quicker it gets. If you get the same board, shouldn't have to reinstall Windows or programs. Get some thermal paste, Arctic Silver is good, and before reinstalling the CPU/HSF clean the old paste off, rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter works well, and apply just a dab of new paste, more is not better. Any time you remove the CPU/HSF after running the machine you should clean off the old paste and apply new.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 17, 2009 6:37:42 PM

Sorry for replieing in this ancient topic, but i'm facing the same problem. I just want to know if the TS has managed to solve the problem, preferably without sending it RMA.
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 2:02:23 PM

After reviewing this problem I have also realized that most mobos have a set of jumpers on the audio header.....If you remove them there will be no sound unless you have the correct connector for the front panel.
My Tt v9 case has the right connector so it wasn't an issue but I failed to ask the op what case he had and probably he ran into this situation.
!