No post , no beep, no signal

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hi, recently changed my motherboard. Got everything up and running and it was fine for a couple weeks. Then my power supply and cord that was attatched to it blew so i bought a new psu ( 450watt ) and put it in and it was fine for an hour. It reset while i was playing warcraft 3 then i went into the bios to changed something ( cant remember what ) but it wouldnt start. I went back in and changed everything to default then saved and exit. Now the screen gets no signal but all the fans and lights are on. Iv tried the psu,vid card and ram in a athlon 1800+ and a celeron 1.3ghz and their all fine. Iv also taken the cmos battery out for the night and put it in when i got home from school..yet no change. I should also mention my dvdrw opens but my dvd drive dosnt iv tried unhooking the dvd drive but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
My specs:
Athlon 2600+
1gb ram ( 1 stick ) brand is legend
geforce ti4400..=(
80gb hd
mobo is an albatron KX400-8xV Pro

If you need to know anything else tell me ill do my best to find out although im not too great on computers ...still learning =P

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
hey, yeah i did i actually took out the battery and looked at it for a bit and noticed there was some kind of chemical on it..after a bit of cleaning with some alcohol it worked!! and i can get to the post screen but now its saying checksum error defaults loaded?

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
argh..changed the battery but now its freezeing every 2 mins or so and i have to reset the computer even in the bios, but i did manage to get past the windows loading thing but then it did a quick blue screen and reset, any ideas? thanks

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
the new psu is a 450watt hyena. I can get to the desktop now but only on system turbo defaults which makes my computer run at 2000+ 1.67ghz and when i change them it just resets after the windows loading screen iv prolly got the the settings wrong anyone know the ram settings for an athlon 2600+? oh and i should mention on my mobo there aint an option to change the multiplier.

tlmck

Distinguished
Depending on which 2600+ you have it either runs a 266mhz FSB which will appear as 133mhz in the BIOS, or it runs a 333mhz FSB which will appear as 166mhz in the BIOS.
The ram setting depends on what ram you have. My old Nforce 2 MB supports up to PC3200 at 400mhz which will be 200mhz in the BIOS. If you have PC2700 ram this will be 166mhz in the BIOS. If you have PC2100 ram, I believe it is 100 or 133mhz in the BIOS.

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
my board supports ddr400 and my ram stick is ddr400, the 2600 i have is the 333 fsb version but when i change the fsb it resets after the windows loading screen

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Im not exactly sure what to change in the bios the things i can change are
cpu host freq (which is the fsb)
spread spec (=/-0.5% ect)
ddr:cpu ratio ( cant remember there were like 4 options 1 was by spd )
cpu voltage ( +5%, +10%, 15% )

tlmck

Distinguished
Do you have a selection on the BIOS screen called "fail safe defaults"? If so, select that and save and exit. This should essentially reset everything to auto detect mode.

If you do not have this option, go in and set everything to auto yourself.

tlmck

Distinguished
That is fine to start with as long as it boots up and runs stable. You can then go back into BIOS and change the CPU FSB speed to 166, save and exit. It should reboot as a 2600.

One last step assuming this works, and if your BIOS has it, it to go in and lock the BIOS. There should be some function called "BIOS write protect" usually under the advanced features section. If you have this, enable it. It will sort of keep the BIOS from scrambling it's brains in the future.

I know this is all a pain, but such is the Athlon XP and it's MB's sometimes. Especially when they get older. Kind of like a rebellious teenager if you ask me.

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
yo, its on 2600 now cept it blue screens just before the desktop apprears, 'Bad system config info' !Wahoo! that was after i tampered with the fsb so im guessing wrong settings..You guys wouldnt happen to know what they should be would you? I can change the spread spec, Cpu host freq ( fsb ), DDR: CPU Ratio and Cpu voltage and something else which i dun think matters, but i might have the ram timings wrong aswell i think my stick is a cl3 but it was set to 2.5 so i changed it to 3 am i meant to change the other settings there aswell?

tlmck

Distinguished
That blue screen sounds more like a Windows problem than a hardware problem to me. Perhaps a repair install of Windows is in order.

I was going to mention it earlier, but forgot. You can disablef that spread spectrum stuff. You do not need it. It pertains to even older machines than we have. It does not really hurt anything, but I just turn it off anyway.

I would let SPD handle the ram freq. and set the timing to "optimal".

peachey fitty six

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
yeah but it only blue screens when iv changed the fsb...why does it run fine when i leave it alone, im not trying to sound ungreatfull because i am greatfull for all the help so far.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I think when the PSU and cord fried it hurt some parts on the system. It runs slow at lw volts but not at regular volts. My guess is your motherboard is shot. Cheap PSUs have no short curcuit protection. When they blow they usually take other things with them. I've had em burn out everything inside a case before including IDE cables and Ram. Problems occured after the short and you put in a new PSU, (one I think is junk) and you have problems. It could be a faulty PSU or bad mobo/cpu/ram/video/. If it was me I would sell it as a parts only as is and buy myself a new one. No magic workaround for this one. Something is definately not working hardware wise.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

Every thing probably got jolted. If you dont start off with all new parts your gonna have many troubles.