Wondering if PSU was affecting my overclock

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I just put an order into newegg for PC power and cooling silencer 750 PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009. My hopes are to squeeze out a little more from my Opteron 170. I have it at 2.88ghz right now with an Apevia 500watt PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148027. When I picked it out the PSU a couple of years ago, I had no idea I'd be getting into all this stuff :ange: -overclocking and what not. I I notice on CPUz that the vcore flucuates. I figured that I will be rebuilding in a year or so (waiting to see if AMD gets there act together and quad cores are cheaper) so I wanted a new PSU anyway that can be used in the future.

Was this a good choice for $170.00? -I'm a sucker for a sale
Will this possibly allow me to overclock a little more? -I was thinking of lapping the cpu and hs also
Is this enough power if I end up with SLI video and watercooling in the future?

Now that I've written it, I guess that it should have gone in the PSU section, but I am mostly concerned with how the PSU influences an overclock.

Thanks,
Ricky

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
It would help if you state the rest of your system's specs. I think that PSU is just overkill, you'll never need that much power unless you're running SLI/Crossfire with 10 harddrives... and even then you won't even need it. A good 500 WATT with good amps on the 12+ rails would have sufficed.

It doesn't state how many amps on the 12+ rails it has on that Apevia, and without knowing the rest of your system I can't guess if that's whats stopping you from the higher overclock. My guess is that it's not...but you never know.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I realize that it is overkill. I was wondering if a higher quality powersupply provides a more stable voltage, therefore a more stable overclock. My memory is corsair CMX1024-3200 (200mHz) running at 205.8mHz due to a /14 divider off the FSB. I tested stability with prime95 with emphasis on the cpu and not the memory. I was able to hit 2.9, but backed off because of temperature.
I am buying this power supply with the future in mind as well.

Thanks

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
The voltage drop you see in CPU-z isn't caused by your PSU, but your motherboard. It's totally normal and shouldn't cause problems. However, there is a pencil mod I've heard about that stabilizes CPU voltage to what you set in BIOS and it won't budge. I didn't do that myself, I just raised voltage in BIOS until I got what I needed actually being fed to the CPU.

The PC PnC 750 is a GREAT power supply. They make some of the best units you can buy, and they aren't rediculously expensive.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Did you edit the previous post or am I blind?

I lapped my CPU and HS last night and temps dropped about 7C. I'm hoping that "breaking in period" with artic silver is true.

I am 44 min prime95 stable at 327x9- 2.94Ghz.
I'm testing 329x9 right now, but temps are at 59C. I am out of vcore too because of the 1.5 limit.

BTW I put in the new PSU and there were no noticible advantages in my overclock, just as you said. But, I have a nice PSU for my next rig.

I'm looking into vcore mods, but they might be a little over my head. I've never done anything constructive with a solder iron.