XP setup will not detect hard drive when installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgioray

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello, I have an Acer Extensa 4620z, the hdd went out on it, i replaced it and tried installing xp on it cuz i dont have the vista
recovery disks but I get a "setup did not find any hard disks drives installed in your computer" message. I also tried windows 7 as well but I get a "no os found" message. My understanding is that this laptop was designed only for vista and not xp, so I'm thinking I need storage drivers for it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Mathews

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
It can be a problem with SATA hdd.
Enter bios by pressing F10 while booting.
Then in 'configuration' check whether SATA is enabled. If so DISABLE it.
save and exit.
continue installation.
Hope you will succeed.

georgioray

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The hdd is new and it is sata, In bios it doesnt give me an option to enable/disable sata, been doin some searching and it seems the mobo/bios does not work with xp by default without doin some sort of slipstream process thru nlite. I tried installing 7 but that didnt work either, I boot from cd and with 7 all I get is "no os found" and with xp, setup didnt find any hdd installed. Thx for the help.

Mathews

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
carry out a slipping is not that much hard. Also you must try to get some other win xp cds and try install . it may work.
If you need the steps for slipping in detail, follow the helpful link given below. (before that download nlite software)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

PBTechPartners

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

I know this is a couple of years late but I've just come across the same thing.
In the BIOS set the SATA type to IDE (not ACHI) - Hope this can help someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.