Sign in with
Your question

Help recovering data from hard drive

Last response: in Storage
March 27, 2008 10:57:18 AM

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me recover my Hard drive. I was re- partitioning my hard drive this weekend with the gparted live cd when there was a power cut as it was shifting the data to the left to expand one of the partitions.

I ran scan disc twice, and it seemed to fix it, but now even though windows seems to read everything on the hard drive none of the files work, be the exes or jpgs. Is there any way I can repair the drive or recover my files?

Thanks!

T_L_T
March 29, 2008 6:17:17 PM

I did something similar about a month ago. I was installing Freespire Linux on another disk and somehow my main NTFS partition became partially repartitioned as semi-ext2 - I booted into an alternate Windows install and found that the partition was recognized as NTFS (but unmountable) by Windows... but identified as EXT2 by Partition Magic.
I had years worth of photos on my drive that I needed to recover.

I tried several data recovery programs (Disk Doctor, and a few others). Most will allow you to see what files that you CAN recover before you buy the program. Most of the programs failed to recover my files (and only gave listings in numbered formats).... but I was able to find one that recovered all my files to another disk, with intact filenames (I forget which program at the moment).

March 29, 2008 7:09:01 PM

alpine18 said:
I tried several data recovery programs (Disk Doctor, and a few others). Most will allow you to see what files that you CAN recover before you buy the program. Most of the programs failed to recover my files (and only gave listings in numbered formats).... but I was able to find one that recovered all my files to another disk, with intact filenames (I forget which program at the moment).

Damn, dude! You mention ONE possible solution, but can't remember the name of it? What good is your reply? If I were the OP, I'd rather not see any replies than see something as unhelpful as this! Think harder! Give the OP a solution!
Related resources
March 29, 2008 7:13:15 PM

Forgot to mention to the OP: Get a good UPS. I don't have any machines not hooked up to a UPS. Cheap insurance. How much are those pictures worth to you?
!