Media Center 2005 & Radeon HD 2400 pro issue

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Media Center
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2007 3:11:09 PM

I've been satisfied with my media center for quite some time.

The rig is as follows:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 939
2GB Corsair PC3200 RAM
Radeon x700 pro ATI brand
MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum
dual eHome wonders
SB X-fi Platinum

It's been running fine for 2 years. I recently got a new Sharp LC-42D64U 1080p TV. So i've been wanting to connect my media center to it via HDMI. It's currently connected via component. The x700 pro obviously is not an HD card and doesn't support HDCP and a DVI - HDMI cable doesn't work. So i picked up a Visiontek Radeon HD 2400pro. It has a DVI out, HDMI out and VGA out. I connected it to the TV via HDMI and via the DVI - HDMI cable and it works flawlessly. However, here's the issue. When I go to load up the media center interface, it loads, but the blue media center interface is totally black and I can't see anything. When i go to live TV, the video feeds go through, I just simply get a black interface and I can't see anything. I'm currently using the latest nVidia purevideo mpeg decoder. I tried the latest 7.10 catalysts and the earliest ones that supported the 2400 the 7.6 and still i only got a black screen interface. I'm totally stumped. If anyone knows why this is and how to fix it, it would be great. Otherwise i'm going to have to return the card. Keep in mind that the video plays and I can see it, but the interface is totally black.

More about : media center 2005 radeon 2400 pro issue

a c 130 U Graphics card
October 13, 2007 6:36:41 PM

Um your using a Nvidea decoder on a ATI card that has a built in decoder ? posable conflict i think ?
Mactronix
October 13, 2007 8:03:46 PM

That thought had crossed my mind as well, but since the video comes through fine, I don't think that would explain why the media center interface is totally black where I can't see it.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 13, 2007 8:45:27 PM

WEll if you save the file and delete the actual decoder then at least you can reinstallit if it proves not to be an issue?
Mactronix
October 14, 2007 5:03:07 AM

I returned it, so my headache is gone. I'll wait till Vista actually works right and then just do a total overhaul in about a year or so.
November 4, 2007 11:22:52 AM

I am building a brand new system with MCE and loved this card because of the multiple connectors. Prior to installing my TV Tuner card, I was not having problems with the Media Center interface until after I install an ATI TV Wonder HD 650 tuner card. After that, MCE works as you described. Good thing is I can see the arrow and can mouse over to where the "x" should be and close Media Center. If I uninstall all of the software from both the ATI video and tuner cards, I can get my MCE screen back (with a message the video is not supported). I then reinstalled the HD2400 software and had my MCE screen back. I then tried a USB tuner. It worked great for the first couple of times, and then started doing the same thing again. I was thinking it was the tuner card, but now I am suspecting something to do with the video card. Today I am going to try to install just parts of the drivers for the video card and if that doesn't help I'll return it and try the HD2600 which is on sale.
August 11, 2008 4:58:19 PM

How did you guys fare with this issue? I have the same problem. I originally was running a ATI Radeon X600 and then added a ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo. No problems viewing cable and HD (locals) channels in Media Center. THEN I went ahead and upgraded to a Radeon 2400PRO and that's when my problems started. Black screen in MCE. Using the same decoder as I always did, Cyberlink Video/SP 6.0.0.818 decoder. What I don't understand either is when I run Windows Decoder Utility it shows the Cyberlink is fine for use in Windows Player 10 and MCE but the 2 ATI decoders it shows are BOTH red-x'ed out!? What is up with that? also, trying to figure anything out with ATI support is WORSE than having your teeth pulled! They seem to want to give you the LEAST amount of information and they treat you like it's YOUR fault everything isn't working right! I actually told them that they needed to take care of their customer's better (in a nice way) and they sent me an email saying that if I didn't watch my language they would BAN me from support!!! WTF??? Anyway, if anyone can help with this problem, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks...

Mark Schu
markschu@hotmail.com
!