ati 2900pro question

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
If you can get the card to work than sure. I just RMA'd my HD2900 Pro and got an 8800GTX instead. But don't let me and my RMA deter you from a purchase. Technically speaking all it needs is an OC and it'll rock socks; even on par with an HD2900XT.

As for your monitors, I don't believe you can. I personally have never tried three monitors, two was good enough. But I do think if you have a PCI-E and a PCI card, than you should. Because you can select the display device/s to display a monitor. So I suppose you might be able to. I'd recommend calling the manufacturer's support line though and ask them.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I'd recommend waiting to see what cards are released in november. But if you don't want to wait the 2900 pro will be a grand card. If you plan to oc it it's a even better buy...

Regarding the three monitor situation. As long as you have a PCI graphics card you can just run that in a PCI slot...Regarding your current 7600 GT...It's PCI-E...so it will only work in a PCI-E 16x slot. If your board has two of them you can pop it in the second. But keep in mind that most motherboards that have two PCI-E slots don't run them both at 16X...They mostly run in a 8X/8X environment or 16X/4X........So if you do have two PCI-E slots look into it...If you don't have two then don't worry about it. Just use your normal PCI solution for the third monitor.

If you actually have two PCI-E 16x slots...only run both cards if it runs in a 16x/4x setup...8x/8x will give you a performance hit on your main card.

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
i was going to remove the 7600gt and replace it with a better card... i wanted to keep windows xp pro. is dx10 for xp too or is it just for vista?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
DX10 is vista only. Most users still won't switch over to vista. It's just not worth it right now.

Of course you're going to remove the 7600 Gt though..but you said you have 3 monitors atm?..a 7600 GT and a PCI graphics card as well? So right now you have one PCi-E video card and one PCi video card?..correct?..Cause that is what your opening post states..If that's the case just remove the 7600 GT and drop a 2900 pro into there...Leave the other PCI card in the other slot to handle the 3rd monitor...

Keep in mind though the 2900 pro takes quite a lot of power..Make sure your power supply can support the power draw.