Removing Internet Files from Laptop with XP Pro

I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I would
like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.

I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure all
traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.

Can anyone assist?

Try going to internet options,settings,delete files,delete cookies,then go to
programs tab,reset web settings,close out.Go to run,type:%Temp% In the new
window,edit,select all,then delete all,close out,empty recycle
bin.Next,even though
this takes more time for xp to shutdown,all IE tracks get deleted,go to
run,type:
regedit,in regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\
sessionmanager\memorymanagement L.click on,clearpagefileatshutdown Go to
edit,modify,set to 1 from 0,then close out regedit.

Truck Guy wrote:
> I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I would
> like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.
>
> I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure all
> traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.
>
> Can anyone assist?

To protect your personal web browsing habits, information and data
from any future users of average skills, you should, at the very least,
format the hard drive and reinstall only the OS and those applications
whose licenses are to be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a
more thorough job of protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce or anyone,

Will wiping drive 2.2.1 remove the internet files as well?

"Truck Guy" <Truck Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I
> would like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.
>
> I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure
> all traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.
>
> Can anyone assist?

Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete | Clear Forms

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Andrew E. wrote:
> Try going to internet options,settings,delete files,delete cookies,then go to
> programs tab,reset web settings,close out.Go to run,type:%Temp% In the new
> window,edit,select all,then delete all,close out,empty recycle
> bin.Next,even though
> this takes more time for xp to shutdown,all IE tracks get deleted,go to
> run,type:
> regedit,in regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\
> sessionmanager\memorymanagement L.click on,clearpagefileatshutdown Go to
> edit,modify,set to 1 from 0,then close out regedit.

You neglected to mention that the OP must first unhide protected
operating files. You really don't ever intend to truly help people, do you?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Truck Guy wrote:
> Bruce or anyone,
>
> Will wiping drive 2.2.1 remove the internet files as well?

Yes, to all but the most advanced forensic utilities, such as used by
the NSA. WipeDrive overwrites the entire hard drive with alternating
zeros and ones (all zeros on one pass, and then all ones on the next
pass) for as many times as you choose.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

What it all boils down to is that if someone really, really wants to get
deleted and scrubbed information off your laptop - they can, one way or
another. They just may have to pay someone a lot to accomplish it. The only
sure way to is to smash a drive with a hammer, followed by a heavy use of a
blow torch. I guess you could also just cut the drive in half with an
acetylene torch, and lose the hammer. (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Truck Guy" <Truck Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I would
> like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.
>
> I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure all
> traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.
>
> Can anyone assist?

"Truck Guy" <Truck Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I would
> like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.
>
> I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure all
> traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.
>
> Can anyone assist?

Format the drives, all traces of files will be removed.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Alan Holmes wrote:

> Format the drives, all traces of files will be removed.

Only if the next person to handle the hard drive lacks above average
ability.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Truck Guy" <Truck Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am about to leave a company. I will need to return their laptop, I would
> like to scrub all traces of my internet searches.
>
> I have admin access on this laptop but do not know how to make sure all
> traces of my searches have been removed and can not be retrieved.
>
> Can anyone assist?

You should do multiple formats, then reinstall original software. You can
also use a HD scrubber which writes 0/1 's alternately to wipe anything out
that was there.

Jim

Download this program and run it. http://www.ccleaner.com/
Unless you are totally paranoid, this should do what your looking for.