GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 & Crucial Ballistix Compatability

Maybe you guys can help me out here. I am considering this MOBO (GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel) as an option for my upgrade. I have just purchased 4 Gigs of this ram “Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory”
The timings are speced at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2 volts. I was trying to find out if this MOBO (GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel) would accommodate the voltage. I have not been able to find the default voltage for memory, or the options available in the bios to increase it to that voltage. I assume its capable? More importantly, should I expect any compatibility issues with this ram and MOBO combo? I do NOT see this memory on Gigabytes supported vendors list. Is anyone using this combo with any issues? (I will be using Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO & WINXP PRO) Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte crucial ballistix compatability
  1. Fakum said:
    Maybe you guys can help me out here. I am considering this MOBO (GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel) as an option for my upgrade. I have just purchased 4 Gigs of this ram “Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory”
    The timings are speced at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2 volts. I was trying to find out if this MOBO (GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel) would accommodate the voltage. I have not been able to find the default voltage for memory, or the options available in the bios to increase it to that voltage. I assume its capable? More importantly, should I expect any compatibility issues with this ram and MOBO combo? I do NOT see this memory on Gigabytes supported vendors list. Is anyone using this combo with any issues? (I will be using Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO & WINXP PRO) Thanks

You can eneter your MB at Crucial to double check compatibility. Your MB will have the necessary voltage regulators to provide the needed 2.2v Mfg. default voltage to your RAM. Read your manual under 'BIOS' as to how to adjust the voltage. HTH.

http://crucial.com/
  2. Just cuz it's not on support list doesn't mean it won't work. it's cuz the testers at GB wouldn't buy all the ram to test on their mobos. No way they will.

The DIMM voltages range from +0.05v through to +0.35v

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=643&p=3

When you get them set up, go to bios & change DRAM TIMING... to manual, then input the timings 4-4-4-12:

http://www.legionhardware.com/pic.php?image=/Pics/Gigabyte_P35-DS4/BIOS_06.jpg

Finally, set sys. vol. to manual & change ddr2 volt to +0.4. Disregard the warning. The default is 1.8v for Gigabyte boards. I believe +0.3v (2.1v) is fine.

http://www.legionhardware.com/pic.php?image=/Pics/Gigabyte_P35-DS4/BIOS_07.jpg
  3. great feedback, thank you both
  4. I have the DS4 with Ballistix PC6400 memory just like you. Works perfectly. I run Q6600 system mostly at stock 2.4ghz and undervolted to 1.0Vc and memory undervolted also at stock BIOS 1.8V. Sometimes I like to overclock and found the Gigabyte P35-DS4 and Q6600 combination will easily hit 3.0ghz at undervolting of only 1.225Vc and no increase in Vdimm. Going higher I usually have to bump Vdimm up to at least 2.0V and of course, the Vc. Have hit 3.6ghz (400 FSB @ 9) but runs way too warm for me in AZ and with Ninja (120mm fan), too much noise. 2.4ghz at 1.0Vc gives me an almost silent PC.

So, you will love the DS4 and Ballistix memory. It should take you as high as you want to go.
  5. So the reason you run your memory at 1.8 v instead of the 2.2v it calls for is to keep your case quiet? Not a performance issue? I dont know enough about memory voltages and timing tweeks to know if you actually do that (drop the voltage) what the performance impacts are?
  6. Running at stock 2.4ghz, undervolting both cpu and ram just makes sense...IF it is rock stable and runs cooler. YES in both cases. OCCT/Orthos/Prime95 are all stable after ovenright runs. The Touch test of the RAM at 1.8V is just slightly warm. Same with NB/SB/MOSFETs. This DS4 mobo with cool heatpipes (pun intended) is phenominal. Cool and quiet is what I like. And of course, I have both C1E and EIST (multi and voltage throttle down) set in BIOS which helps keep it cool.
  7. Thanks for the feedback,,, I am sitting around waiting for price drops or sales over the next couple months
  8. Hmmm....Fakum and others,

Thanks from me also. I will soon purchase the DS4. I am planning to use the Crucial XMS2 PC2 6400C4 (4x1G) RAM 4-4-4-12, EVGA 8800GT, WD 150G 10K Raptor, and an optical (SATA LS) all stuffed into an ANTEC SONATA Plus with ANTEC 550W NEO (modular PS).

I'm a gamer that builds every three years. It takes me forever to get up to speed.

I love the looks of the DS4 and need the USB ports, like the idea of a Dual BIOS and the XRecovery :)

I have read where people have had to buy cheap ram to get in and set the RAM voltage from 1.8 to, with my RAM 2.1v. But you all are saying this shouldn't be a problem and I can run my RAM at 1.8 and it will actually work better?

Hey I do OK but I have never overclocked or messed with RAM Voltage or Timings. I have downloaded the manual and have been pouring over it trying to figure out how to up the RAM voltage.

SO...I am going to be good-to-go and the board should not boot-cycle like I've read about?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Dennis/Decon
  9. Great info guys, just what I was looking for.

My new system is in the mail and should be arriving in the next few days. After a few days of indecisiveness and research (this thread helped with my choice in memory) I decided on the below system. I'm looking forward to playing with this mobo!

My new kit:
    GA-P35-DS4/4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400/Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600/2x150GB Raptor (Raid0)/SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB/
  10. I have the DS4 with Crucial Ballistix memory (2x1GB).. I dont know the model off the top of my head though, but Ive had absolutely no problems at all with the system..

Edit: I looked up my order on newEgg and found the memory I bought.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820148069
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Intel Motherboards