Need a good cpu cooler (want to stay air)

j0k3r

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hey!

I'm looking at options for improving the cpu temp for my q6600 g0 oc'd to 3.15ghz (1.25v). At idle it's running at 46 celcius, and on full load for 30min it goes up to 56-58. I want to try and find something that can keep it in the mid 30's, or mby even low 30's at idle. I really want to avoid water cooling, as it seems like a hassle. I've heard of phase cooling, but I tihnk it's the same thing, just with sub-zero temps (so you still need to change the liquid in it right?). Right now i'm using a cooler master Hyper L3.
Thanks for the suggestions!

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
phase is very expensive and in my opinion, worth it, however, you have to be prepared as there is as much hard work in that as there is in water cooling, if not more, also you ahve to realise that phase units are huge and you will probably need to do alot of case modding for it.

like the above guy said, how much do you want to spend, because good phase units can cost into the thousands...

j0k3r

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
oooh, yeah I don't think i could afford that cost. I'll stick to air cooling for now, at a max of $200 (CAD or USD)

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
A Thermo-electric or phase-change unit might help to achieve those low numbers but then you would have to deal with condensation and we all know how PC's just love water tracing down the into the CPU socket.
IMHO the best air-cooled heatsink on the market is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
I have one in my system and the CPU idles @39C, continuous 50%+ core loads run the CPU up to 50C, gotta love it.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
If you have about 200 USD / CAD for budget, you can look into TEC cooling (150USD)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/407/1/

With TEC, you have to maintain a good case flow, or the heat generated from the CPU as well as the cooler itself will raise the temperature in the case.

Don't attempt to use phase change, as it will create condensation, and will likely short out your MB.

If you want to stay simple, for pure air cooling, you can look into Thermaltake Ultra 120 like mad-dog suggested.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/thermalright_ultra_120/

EDIT:
Actually, after finishing reading the review, I would discourage you from using TEC coolers. You will spent a lot more money, but for a little performance gain.

My suggestion would be to go with Thermaltake Ultra 120 instead. Get a nice, silent 120mm fan like Yate Loon, or xtremeturbine (if you want performance), and you should see substantial improvement on your CPU's temperature.

j0k3r

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007

How do you attatch a fan to the thermalright ultra-120 extreme? I did look at it once before but was alittle scared at the fact that it didn't have a fan mounted on it.

for nukchebi0:
I have a q6600 g0 that was overclocked at 3.15ghz (I lowered it for now till i get a better processor cooler, but my goal is to put it back there :))

Thanks again to all of you for all your comments and help!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
How do you attatch a fan to the thermalright ultra-120 extreme? I did look at it once before but was alittle scared at the fact that it didn't have a fan mounted on it.
The wire clips are a little tricky; especially with the unit installed.
I'm using 2-120mm fans on the Ultra, 1 on the front and 1 on the back setup in a push/pull configuration, it's probably overkill but it looks and runs cool.
After struggling with the wire clips one day i got frustrated with them and retired them to my stash box where they serve proudly as pipe-cleaners.
4 zip-ties daisy chained together completely surround the heatsink and fans while providing a secure and quiet mounting solution.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If you don't want to deal with fans and pins I suggest the Tuniq Tower. One of the best on the market. It comes with its fan already installed, and also has a copper base. The Tuniq obtained the best results until the Ultra with 2 fans got a little better results.