Does It worth to buy a 8800gtx from a 8800gts 320mb?

tato999

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hello right now I have a core 2 duo e 6750.
2gb ram pc6400. crucial
EVGA 8800gts supercloked
western digital caviar SE 250gb and a segate 160gb.
thermalright ultra 120 extreme
and an old case that really sucks.

Besides of the temperature of the case and if its ugly or not I dont care.

But does it worth to upgrade the GPU or the case instead.

really apreciate your help with that if you think that I need to upgrade other componets let me know please.

Just wondering why you are considering it,do you have problems playing certain games?
You have a super clocked GTS320 so its hard to see where you may be having a problem if you are just trying to"future proof" yourself then dont bother it really isnt worth it. The GTX with the exception of super clocked editions of the 640 which is only an issue at high res or insane texture levels and maybee the 2900XT is the best card you can get the only saving grace you have is the use of the EVGA step up program,depends how long you have left but i would wait if pos untill the new cards come out,on spec they will be not as good but they may have advantages.
I did ask in a thread earlier if you could step up to the new cards when they came out as it seems strange to "step up" to a lesser card?
Mactronix

ShortRef

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

I was wandering the same thing o_O

Keep your GTS if you are under 1440 resolution and under, get a GTX if higher. (NOT because of the vram, vram makes little difference, 320mb spills into virtual ram anyway) The GTX will cope at higher resolutions because of its processors power. But as for any 720 monitor, keep the gts.

Well i just looked up the EVGA step up program and this copied directly from it seems to sugest that you can only upgrade to a more expensive product.
Q: How does the Step-Up™ Program work?
A: Anytime within the first 90 days after your original date of purchase you can step up your video card to a new card graphics card from our website at http://evga.com/products/ of greater value.

I would be appaled if a lesser performing card ended up costing more so it seems that through no fault of there own or EVGA's for that matter people who purchased based on the rumours that the next card would be the G92 that was doing the rounds have been screwed over by the assumption that Nvidea would make a better card. :cry:
Mactronix

tato999

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thank you very much for your answers.

Actually I play on a Sony bravia 32-S3000 thats and HDTV 1366x768 so I dont need to upgrade my GPU even to play Cryisis?

Even at resolution Of 1440x900 I dont have to upgrade My gpu? I better wait for a new video card commig out maybe 9800gtx what ever comes out, if no for that time the 8800gtx is going to be cheaper right?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007

Let me guess...wrong thread?..lol

We all make mistakes...no worries..^_^

Regarding the graphics card choice. Just hold onto the 320 GTS...you may as well save your cash and just wait for the next high end down the line. You still got a great card...

ShortRef

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Read his first post, he said he has an old case.

Wait until the crysis demo comes out, to see if you can play how you want. Nobody knows wether the low vram will make a difference, it shouldn't. Get a nice new case :)

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah, at this point I'd just keep the 320MB. Unless you could sell it easily and get the GTX.

From now on (regretting myself not going GTX) I plan on getting as beefy a videocard as possible as upgrading a computer isn't EVERY year anymore like in the late '90s and game development is geared towards the consoles.

The videocard does make you a much better player in FPS games. I used to be a mediocre player because I ALWAYS had a low-end card. With the 8800GTS 640 in UT3 all you hear is "headshot headshot headshot HEADHUNTER" because when the game is silky smooth it makes it alot easier.

So, if everyone is stuck waiting to upgrade when the consoles start "breaking new ground" it may be a LONG time until the PS4 and xBox "720" are out, you might as well get a heavy hitting card and enjoy it as the cost-per-year of use goes WAY down.

I had a buddy in the late 90's who ALWAYS budgeted for a NEW system every year with a new videocard every 6 months. But then again, games were easy to come by from friends, so I don't think he paid 60$ for a game EVER.

The consoles, and the quality of games we are now at, things are becoming a better investment.

I went GTS expecting a WHOLE new system with PCI-2.0, but gauging how console-centric everything is my Opty 165 is going to be with me for quite a while. Also note that Vista is a flop, so the pressure to upgrade is much less.

Anyway, I personally don't mind buying videocards anymore. I played some FPS with a gamepad when a friend got the xBox 360, and all these PC expenses are worth it. With WASD and a Mouse, you have more of a "feeling" that you are there that I don't get with a controller, but that is just me.

So my point is if you WANT a GTX, even if you have to stick the 320 in the closet and "lose" the money on it, you will be using the GTX probably until the PS4 is out, which is a long time.

Don't feel bad Bro, women throw new shoes away because they "don't like them anymore"...

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Glad I found this thread, I find myself in the same situation. Just built this system last month (check my config) and am head over heals in love with it. I have until December 6 to utilize my eVGA step-up and am considering dumpin the extra $200 for the GTX mostly for the sake of Crysis and UT3.

I haven't run into any issues thus far, I have been running UT3 Demo at high rez (1920x1200) with all the settings maxed, but if the rumors are to be believed then then demo is using downgraded texture quality and the complete version will push my GTS's 320mb over the edge.

So, balls out or no?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
After looking at the benchmarks from the 8800 gt maybe you should ask for some money back? ;)

Well I went from a GTS 640 to a GTX back last december.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Tell me about it! I swear, sometimes I feel like there is just no winning in this game of hardware. I think I am going to go bald from all this head scratchin.