Sign in with
Your question

Unreal Tournament 3 Demo and Ageia Physics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
October 14, 2007 2:44:26 AM

Guys,
I was checking out the unreal tournament 3 demo and it's really great game. Now next thing comes is AGEIA PHYSX. I don't have the card so I don't know how it will look. I was just checking out Unreal engine 3 which uses Ageia physics. And if you check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Unreal_Engin... lot of games will be in future base on that engine. So will all these games support Ageia physics? There cards prices have dropped to 112$ at www.compusa.com. Gears of war supports Ageia physics. What are the odds for Ageia? Is it the right time to Buy physics card or there is no future for ageia
October 14, 2007 2:57:07 AM

pretty much pointless to buy. Seriously i am pretty sure nV and AMD are gonna have them build into there cards soon.
October 14, 2007 3:40:42 AM

I really don't see the point in those cards.
Related resources
October 14, 2007 4:05:43 AM

i dont think the market is pretty big for that kind of card. it s not doing enough for people to justify buying it. so if you got the money just floating around doing nothing and you really really like nice graphics and you already have a top of a line card then maybe you can consider buying it. they really need to put out something big to make me consider such a product. for the moment you d better spend the money on the graphics card itself IMO
October 14, 2007 6:03:53 AM

I think it is a worthwhile buy. Most people think they are worthless because most games up until now haven't utilized it. But as you said, many games are starting to support that physics engine, and in those cases, it will bring some really cool effects that you would never see with only an 8800. It's not about processing power, it's all about the engine.

I do think that AMD and nV will integrate this functionality before too long.
October 14, 2007 7:28:28 AM

Not yet...no

If you read one of the interviews with epic. they said that having a physics card will have 0 differences on in game effects. The only thing it will do is allow the physx card to do the physics rather than the cpu/gru (whatever it uses). Seeing as your cpu and gpu are good (and memory)...dont bother with a physx card yet.
October 14, 2007 7:29:02 AM

woops double post
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2007 7:39:50 AM

I have tried to download the demo more than 10 times, and if I ever get it downloaded, I'll tell ya if you need ageia cards to get it to look nice. Currently at 89%, but the server could reset on me at any time.
October 14, 2007 9:23:21 AM

Ignore the first 2 posts. Im pretty sure in this game Physx si gonig to take off, Ageia dont get many titles out using their tech so im sure this is going to be a big one. Especailly as the new games all use physx it should significantly improve FPS and free up the CPU.
October 14, 2007 9:45:27 AM

The game seems to run fine without the card but there is not really that much moving around, however i think that if you DO own one you will get a lot more stuff bouncing off walls, and i think the biosludge will drip really realistically. So it is worth it if you really like stuff like that but unless the price drops i wont be getting one, if it was like $90 i might think of getting a card.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2007 10:14:11 AM

I run hardware physics fine on my 3700, I don't need to by a separate card to do what my CPU can do fine.
October 14, 2007 10:57:51 AM

No usually it allows you to see and do new things that you cannot with hardware physics.

Besides, the games higest quality settings cannot even be used in the demo yet.
October 14, 2007 12:26:02 PM

Rabidpeanut said:
however i think that if you DO own one you will get a lot more stuff bouncing off walls, and i think the biosludge will drip really realistically.

like i said, epic themselves have said that adding a ageia card makes no difference to any in game effects. It simple offloads the process from the cpu onto the physx card. So no you wont see more things bouncing or the bio dripping.
October 14, 2007 12:44:36 PM

blade85 said:
like i said, epic themselves have said that adding a ageia card makes no difference to any in game effects. It simple offloads the process from the cpu onto the physx card. So no you wont see more things bouncing or the bio dripping.

And that's a smart choice too. Investing time to reprogramm the game for a really small minority is not very economical. If they had done that i would've questioned their sanity.
October 14, 2007 3:27:32 PM

I would put the extra $112 on a more powerfull video card or cpu.

(that's my $0.02 anyway)
October 14, 2007 4:05:43 PM

I have the PhysX card and haven't noticed anything in the Unreal Tournament 3 demo that seemed like the card was really being used. My CPU usage is also at 100% when playing the game with hardware physics enabled. :??: 
October 14, 2007 4:53:11 PM

Its only a demo I doubt it has anything that takes advantage of it mate.
October 14, 2007 5:15:06 PM

Hatman said:
Its only a demo I doubt it has anything that takes advantage of it mate.
It has the option to enable hardware physics, so it acts as if it'll take advantage of the card.
October 14, 2007 5:23:10 PM

I couldn't get the UT3 demo to work either.
Anonymous
October 14, 2007 9:24:00 PM

So worst case it doesn't do any good in physics. it just takes the load of the Gpu and CPU. Isn't it better? Have you guys seen the Ageia island in GRAW 2. I'm impressed by that for sure. What do you guys think.
Anonymous
October 14, 2007 9:32:51 PM

I think games like Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War will decide Ageia future. Game Warmonger - Operation: Downtown Destruction i have no hope lol.
Anonymous
October 14, 2007 9:34:30 PM

I'm not sure if Gear Of War supports Ageia. Does anybody now.
October 14, 2007 9:44:53 PM

Thanks for the link Blade, but I think that I couldn't even get it to install succesfully. When I get home, though, I will give it another try.
Anonymous
October 15, 2007 12:07:27 AM

i think first thing Ageia needs to do is die shrink from 130 nm to 90 nm or 65 nm to lower the cost. I don't see that happening though
October 15, 2007 12:13:08 AM

Most of the high-end cards do most of what physics cards do without breaking a sweat anyways!!.. so dont worry about them..
October 15, 2007 1:04:35 PM

Plus now that we have multi-core CPUs, they could always write an engine to run on just one of those with the others free for generic use.
October 16, 2007 4:19:41 PM

The only people I can see adding the Physx card are those with slow S478 or S462 cpus with decent graphics cards that don't want to upgrade their mobos. Personally I'd say drop the money into a new rig with a dual core cpu, but a lot of people run older PCs that don't want to have to buy a new graphics card, mobo, ram, cpu, and probably a PSU just to play UT3. I have a friend that plans to play this game with an AthlonXP 3200+ and a 9800 Pro. I keep telling him to buy a cheap AM2 or C2D mobo, but he refuses. He doesn't want to buy all the parts that go along with that upgrade. Maybe his XP 3200+ Unreal dreams can come true with Physx @ 800x600.

October 16, 2007 4:45:11 PM

Anonymous said:
I'm not sure if Gear Of War supports Ageia. Does anybody now.

Yep, on the 360 its using ageia physx too.

PFZ1 said:
Most of the high-end cards do most of what physics cards do without breaking a sweat anyways!!.. so dont worry about them..

Thats because they dont og making physx that GPU's cant handle!! If they based games on Ageias card being there, they could add a lot more!

ghostwalker said:
Plus
now that we have multi-core CPUs, they could always write an engine to
run on just one of those with the others free for generic use.

Thats still nowhere near as good as a GPU and miles away from a PPU.

I was hoping that this would kick off tbh, looks like it wont though.
October 16, 2007 5:24:19 PM

Anyway to take some stress off the GPU, is a good idea. It won't make a difference now, but who knows down the road.
October 16, 2007 5:50:25 PM

Any performance difference comparison between using it and not using one UT3? It's all well and good to say "well, it won't make the game any prettier," but if it meant a few more frames per second thanks to the cpu doing less, that may be worth it for some...like 8800GTX owners, whose graphics card is bottlenecked by most cpu's (maybe all cpu's...we won't know until a new one comes out!).
October 16, 2007 10:05:41 PM

One dude on the Epic forums mentioned that he couldn't select the
"hardware physics" on a single core PC, but could on a dual (multi) core. Can anyone check that?
Anonymous
October 27, 2007 1:18:43 AM

well okay i got this card in deal for 99$ and it did help in physics in ut3. what it really helped was in CPU usage. after this card my C2D E6600 doesn't touch 100% cpu usage in UT3.few games support it. i'll keep it for 2 years then till my next PC
October 27, 2007 2:50:15 AM

Intel bought the Havok physics engine maker, so expect Intel to try to steal the show and make physics work on cpu's, or make their own PPU.
!