Unreal Tournament 3 Demo and Ageia Physics?

G

Guys,
I was checking out the unreal tournament 3 demo and it's really great game. Now next thing comes is AGEIA PHYSX. I don't have the card so I don't know how it will look. I was just checking out Unreal engine 3 which uses Ageia physics. And if you check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Unreal_Engine_3_2 lot of games will be in future base on that engine. So will all these games support Ageia physics? There cards prices have dropped to 112$ at www.compusa.com. Gears of war supports Ageia physics. What are the odds for Ageia? Is it the right time to Buy physics card or there is no future for ageia

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
i dont think the market is pretty big for that kind of card. it s not doing enough for people to justify buying it. so if you got the money just floating around doing nothing and you really really like nice graphics and you already have a top of a line card then maybe you can consider buying it. they really need to put out something big to make me consider such a product. for the moment you d better spend the money on the graphics card itself IMO

badger101101

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I think it is a worthwhile buy. Most people think they are worthless because most games up until now haven't utilized it. But as you said, many games are starting to support that physics engine, and in those cases, it will bring some really cool effects that you would never see with only an 8800. It's not about processing power, it's all about the engine.

I do think that AMD and nV will integrate this functionality before too long.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Not yet...no

If you read one of the interviews with epic. they said that having a physics card will have 0 differences on in game effects. The only thing it will do is allow the physx card to do the physics rather than the cpu/gru (whatever it uses). Seeing as your cpu and gpu are good (and memory)...dont bother with a physx card yet.

randomizer

Champion
I have tried to download the demo more than 10 times, and if I ever get it downloaded, I'll tell ya if you need ageia cards to get it to look nice. Currently at 89%, but the server could reset on me at any time.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Ignore the first 2 posts. Im pretty sure in this game Physx si gonig to take off, Ageia dont get many titles out using their tech so im sure this is going to be a big one. Especailly as the new games all use physx it should significantly improve FPS and free up the CPU.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
The game seems to run fine without the card but there is not really that much moving around, however i think that if you DO own one you will get a lot more stuff bouncing off walls, and i think the biosludge will drip really realistically. So it is worth it if you really like stuff like that but unless the price drops i wont be getting one, if it was like $90 i might think of getting a card.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
No usually it allows you to see and do new things that you cannot with hardware physics.

Besides, the games higest quality settings cannot even be used in the demo yet.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

like i said, epic themselves have said that adding a ageia card makes no difference to any in game effects. It simple offloads the process from the cpu onto the physx card. So no you wont see more things bouncing or the bio dripping.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

And that's a smart choice too. Investing time to reprogramm the game for a really small minority is not very economical. If they had done that i would've questioned their sanity.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I have the PhysX card and haven't noticed anything in the Unreal Tournament 3 demo that seemed like the card was really being used. My CPU usage is also at 100% when playing the game with hardware physics enabled. :??:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
It has the option to enable hardware physics, so it acts as if it'll take advantage of the card.

G

So worst case it doesn't do any good in physics. it just takes the load of the Gpu and CPU. Isn't it better? Have you guys seen the Ageia island in GRAW 2. I'm impressed by that for sure. What do you guys think.

G

I think games like Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War will decide Ageia future. Game Warmonger - Operation: Downtown Destruction i have no hope lol.

G

i think first thing Ageia needs to do is die shrink from 130 nm to 90 nm or 65 nm to lower the cost. I don't see that happening though