Want to build new system need motherboard advice

progman

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Built a system about 3 years ago. The specs are:

P4s533 MOBO with a Pentium 2.0 and 512 MB RAM and 80GB drive. It has an ATI Radeon 9000 AGP card.

Want to start with new MOBO, cpu,memory and SATA HD. What are some good mobo options for aroun 150. I dont want to spend much, but I want a mobo with usb, and lan built in. If I can get a good combo deal on something with a cpu included that will work. Dont need much more than 2.5 ghz, as I am trying to keep the overall costs down.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I use the Fry's combo specials. In the Friday ad, they have some combos with namebrand boards. The cheaper ones are with ecs boards, which don't overclock but are usually ok for basic systems. For Intel socket 775, Newegg and mwave have the abit ip35-e for under $75 after rebate. For the cpu, the 21xx series have been overclocking up to 100%. Ocz and crucial pc6400 have been on sale lately for around $45-60 after rebate for 2 gigs. Check newegg and slickdeals.net. For video, toss the agp and go with a cheap pci-e card. I got mine at Fry's on labor day for free after rebate ($25-25 rebate). Just had to pay $2 sales tax. Black friday isn't far off. I'll be in line at 3 am.

Add a New PSU to that, and maybe a new case if your current doesnt have sufficent cooling (ed side pannel ducting/vents).

A giant step up - Intel Pentium Dual Cure E2140 (NOT PENTIUM D - STAY AWAY)
Motherboard - Gigabyte or ASUS with an Intel Chipset
Video - Depending on your budget and needs
Memory - PC5300/DDR2-667+, 2gb, its so cheap these days
PSU - Anything from AcBell, Antec etc - top names, keeps the system running.
HDD - WesternDigital, Seagate, Stay away from Maxtor!