New mobo recommendation

ianh82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hi

First post and hello to one and all!

After a replacement for my asrock dual vsta mobo and kingston ram.

I have purchased 2 gig of geil ultra low latency 800 mhz ram so need a mobo. will get a quad core next month. currently an old E6300 core 2.

i have £70 inc p&p to spend. DDR3 doesn't really bother me at moment. nor does sli or crossfire. have a good ATI X850XT PE card for now.

what is good, abit IP35 - e or gigabytes or asus boards?

Must have P35 chipset though.

akhilles

Splendid
You picked P35 for the right reason: quad.

If you liked abit, get the ip35-e. Not pro. Otherwise, it'd be wise to get a more popular board so that help is just around the corner.

ianh82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
is the gigabyte P35C D3SR good?

might push it for the raid bit as might raid my drives for windows vista ultimate?

i have upgraded my dvd drives to sata and have no floppy and ide storage drives.

i want less cables etc and use a standard air cooler for my cpu?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I to got all SATA drives when I got my Asus P5B Deluxe, disable the Jmicron conntoller for good.

trek6500

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Hey all

I am leaving AMD and jumping back onto the the Intel Band Wagon.. :).. I read the article on the E2160 while I was looking for a replacement for my dead AMD K8N NEO2 Platinum MB. Smoked it after trying out the Koolance memory cooler. It leaked and smoked my memory slots... My advice is don't try it, the bags are to easily ripped. Well anyway I am now looking for a new system and I want to OC. I have a Koolance PC3 720 water cooled case along with another separate full 1/2" system cooling a Swiftech MCW6500-775T CPU TEC cooler (used a 939 bracket for my FX-55), and the MCW60-T GPU TEC cooler on a 6800GT. I know I want to get a MB that has a future like the NEO2 did. I got 4 years and 5 different CPU's out of that board.. " Moment of silence please... :cry: "

Well anyway my plan is to purchase the Best Video card, Motherboard, and ram now along with the e2160 or 2180. I want to make sure though that I will be getting a MB that will be strong when I go to a Quad core chip in the future. Also I wonder if any of the MB's out now will be able to run the newer Intel CPU's with the 12mb cache that are due out soon.
So P35, X38, or 6X0i......?????
I like what I have read on the ASUS Blitz Formula and Extreme MB's, though I think DDR3 isn't for me right now.
The EVGA 680i SLI boards seem good also. So many opinions though.

GPU: I'm thinking about getting a 8800 Ultra card, but which one Im not sure. Depending on the motherboard choice though, maybe a ATI 2900. Hell for the cost of one Ultra I could get two 2900'ds. But I wonder if I would really see a difference? I've never really liked ATI, but then again I used to be a staunch AMD man.......

Memory: I like the Corsair Dominator ram, but don't see a lot of people overclocking with it so Im open to any suggestions.

This PC is just to play on. Gaming and overclocking is all it will be for.

Well I didn't mean to be so long winded. I am looking forward to chatting and learning from you all! :)

Trek6500

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I would reccomend either Gigabyte or Asus if you are saying that you don't need sli or crossfire. The gigabyte boards are a good price and P35 is the way to go. From what I've seen most of the Asus boards a quite expensive, but are loaded with extras. (raid, 6+ SATA ports, dual PCI-E x16, x8 slots etc.) Personally I'd say that if you just want a simple board, try gigabyte either GA-P35-DS3L or GA-P35-D3SR.

P35-DS3L.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059&Tpk=GA-P35-DS3L

or

P35-D3SR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050&Tpk=GA-P35-DS3R

hope that helps.

ianh82

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
yes thanks spruce: was swayed to abit but wanted a gigabyte to start with. on today only at scan. may go the 35c and d3sr though for flexibility.