Sign in with
Your question

Terror In Vista with SATA DVD Writer

Last response: in Storage
March 30, 2008 5:47:22 AM

Good day all

Since i upgrade my Windows from XP to Vista,everything looks great,except the DVD Writer...
It's a Lite-on LH-20A1S SATA DVD Writer.Under XP,whenever i used the drive,everything went fine,but in Vista,disaster....when i watch movie,the sound is choppy like a saw...when installing some game,the whole PC feels like an earthquake...it's very very choppy and slow....
Then when i checked for a long time,it's the biggest one....the transfer mode had switched to PIO Mode 4....what the....
Well,since that is happening,no matter what i done,it won't change to DMA at all....I tried uninstalling...doesn't work....I tried checking the box but then it doesn't prompt anything...doesn't work.....I tried changed the SATA cable and switch to another SATA port....doesn't work.....then i tried installed Vista SP1...doesn't work too....BIOS setting all are correct...

It's seems that Vista is conflicting with my SATA DVD drive....since i'm not so sure that when installing Vista(fresh install)it had more than six CRC errors....but then i suspect that i should use IDE DVD Drive instead of SATA one....usually people with this type of problem usually can be fixed quite easily with some step i mentioned above...but most of them(almost all)are using IDE DVD Drive instead of SATA one.....so I suspect that maybe Vista will work well with IDE one instead of SATA....unlike XP...(strange)........

So eventually i wanted to buy a new IDE type DVD Writer...but before i went to the store,
Anyone had some solutions to this problem?
Secondly,instead of buying a new one,is IDE to SATA converter works well?Never try that before....
Thanks... :) 

Gigabyte Poseidon (Silver)
Asus M2A-MVP revision 0401
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10000RPM
Western Digital Caviar 300GB 7200RPM
Cooler Master GeminII with twin 12cm Cooler Master Silent LED
Cooler Master BlueIce
2GB Apogee GT DDR2 800 CL4-4-4-12
ATi Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB
Lite-on LH20A1S DVD Writer
9-in-1 Card Reader

Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1
a b G Storage
March 30, 2008 6:40:10 AM

My LG BR/HD-DVD is SATA and i have no issues with it. I watch Blue Ray/ HD-DVD & Regular DVD just fine.

I play games with my PC and don't have an issue with it.

I'm running vista-64 ultimate
March 30, 2008 6:58:14 AM

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade install? If upgrade that usually never goes well.
Related resources
March 30, 2008 7:18:01 AM

Try bios 0509. I think your board is not 100% compatible with vista. If new bios doesnt help go back to xp or spend $60 on a new mobo.
March 30, 2008 7:26:05 AM

but leon2006....i'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit....
March 30, 2008 7:29:14 AM

Of course i performed clean install op3n :)  .....Fresh install are way better choice than upgrade....upgrade will not guarantee system stability and performance :ange:  ....
March 30, 2008 7:33:18 AM

i will try that roadrunner :)  .....i had tried 0509 before but that version had my DDR2 Memory downclocked to CL5-5-5-15 and not configurable....but 0509 had more stability.....able to clock from 3.0 to 3.6Ghz+......but still quickly switch back to 0401 for normal usage....
Also had been fishing for MSI K9A2 Platinum a long time already.....from my opinion,this is the best layout motherboard of all AMD 790FX chipset.....Asus M3A32-MVP is great but no thanks if it's Asus.....horrible....after M2A-MVP no more Asus for me....Gigabyte not bad but all four PCI-E 16X are stick together so if Dual GPU card okay but not okay for Quad GPU card.....there isn't space for fan at all....need water cooling... :ange: 
!