Vista Might notl like my ram, but will my games?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I have 64 bit vista w/ 4 gigs of ram. However, I have that problem where vista only recognizes 3071 megs instead of the full 4096. None of the answers in other threads have helped me solve this problem. My question is this: despite the fact that vista won't recognize all my ram, will my games recognize it? And does anyone have any brilliant ideas for fixing this annoying problem? Do you think it will be addressed in SP1?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Are you sure you have 64bit Vista? If so then there is an update on M$ website that lets you use 4gigs. I think what others have done is install 2 gigs download update, turn off system, install other 2 gigs, boot up and wala.

First, verify that you have what you think you have.
Does cpu-z show 4096 Mbytes?
Right click on computer/properties.
Under windows experience index, does it show 4094 mb?.
does it show 64-bit Operating system?

Mine does. Could you have loaded a 32-bit OS, Or could some RAM not be seated properly?

It is unlikely that your games will try to use 4gb of ram. Since games are built to run an many configurations, I doubt that a game would be coded to detect the presence of a 64-bit OS, and more than 4gb of real memory, in order to take advantage of it. By default, a 32-bit application addresses 2gb for it's own private data, and shares 2gb for the OS. Some games can be patched to try to use 3gb of private area. Backing up this addressing space is real ram, which can be used for everything. For a single application or game, it would be unusual to need more than 3gb, so you should be ok. The value of 4gb or more is that more than one application can reside in real ram at the same time without displacing each other and causing demand paging I/O.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I think that there is an option in the bios that you have to disable to make Vista64 recognize all of your ram.
And chances are if your OS does'nt recognize all of your ram, then your games won't either (not that it matters thoug, 3 gigs of ram is more than enough IMO)

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I tried to install the update but ms says i have already installed it (and i haven't :( Do you have to take out two of the four gigs in order to install this update?

CPU-z shows 4096, vista experience index indicates 3071 and 64 bit os. Guess I'll just keep looking for ways to install that update.

As for the memory remapping feature in bios, my mobo doesn't have that feature.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
great! The page on microsoft is misleading because it says you can't install unless you have more than 3 gigs of ram. guess i'll just try the way everyone seems to be saying. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days when I get around to doing it.

I just put a system together using Vista 64bit. In the bios there's something called HPET Mode. It defaults to 32bit, and if running 64bit you have to manually select it for it to run. This may be your problem.

Remember, Vista itself is a memory hog. I think it sucks up between 700 and 800 gig of memory. So maybe you're only seeing the available memory.