Should I return the antec for this corsair?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Both are excellent PSU's (i have 3 of the antec ones) it really comes down to personal choice, the 650W will provide a bit more power however the corsair is solid as.

If you have bought the Antec already just stick with it

hawkeyegold

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Also depends on your rig. That Antec Trio is a well thought of PSU, but is known to not get along with several aBit motherboards. If you're running an aBit IP35 chipset board for example, you're more than likely going to have problems.

fjabad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I was faced with the same dilemma two days ago, same exact power supplies. I decided to go with the Corsair. Solid PSU, worth every penny. However, If I wasn't in dire need of a PSU that day (my psu died and I had to run out to Micro Center, unfortunately), I would have ordered this 550W Corsair unit for $79.99 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Here's a review from JonnyGuru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=135

In summation: excellent power supply for $80

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You will most likely have to pay restocking fee, so no, it's not worth it. However IF you didn't have to pay it I'd get either an Antec NeoHE 550 or a Corsair 520HX because I like them a bit more over the TP Trio, but either way, they are ALL made by Seasonic, just rebranded by either Antec or Corsair, so you shouldn't worry all that much.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
i got an antec 550 watts true power 2.0 4 days back.the fan made weird noises -like some wire/screw touching the blades of the psu from inside.i exchanged it for a coolermaster 600watts extreme power the next day.its a good psu.the coolermaster 650 watts extreme power is well within ur budget if u consider the prices of an antec/corsair.
but if ur into heavy overclocking the corsair hx620 is ur best bet.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I hate to break it to you but the Cooler master PSU is a tier 4 and the Antec true power is a tier 3, you went the wrong way. In my opinion you should stay tier 3 or above.

Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing Phase III

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I think most are forgetting the fact that he already bought the PSU and wants to know if it worth the hassle changing it.

The Answer:

No its not

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
talking abt powersupplies ,have any of u people heard of a brand called seventeam?(not seventeen) its a made in taiwan psu.the 500watts seventeam has the same ratings and specs to that of a corsair hx620. and its heavy! as heavy as the corsair maybe heavier.i was considering buying it.its cheaper than an antec 550 true power.i didnt buy it because i never heard of seventeam and online research didnt show much neither has it been discussed on any of the well known hardware forums but it looked to me like a good,solid psu.i got the coolermaster after i found that the shop had no more antec psus and corsair was way out of my budget.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I was busy killing any comments that recommend the Cooler Master. I thought he already got his answer, but upon another look he only two answers that were responsive. Pardon me.

@OP No, keep the Antec.

For anyone else, get the Silencer® 610 EPS12V Power Supply company direct, as zenmaster already said.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's not equivalent to the Corsair HX series, not even close. Weight does not necessarily make a good PSU. Based on this review Seventeam ST-420BKV 420 W Power Supply | Hardware Secrets, I would avoid them completely.

While the Silencer 610 EPS12V PSU is a very good (it's built by Seasonic) I would pass on this PSU for my own personal needs. It uses a 80mm fan which is generally loud compared to a 120mm even though it is made by ADDA. Jonnyguru mentioned the 750w was rather "noisy" and I would assume the same for the 610w version especially after seeing the specs.

When I upgrade my PC and move my current Seasonic S12 PSU into a yet to be built new HTPC, I will buy another Seasonic PSU. That would probably be the SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT which is rated to be up to 88% efficient and since it is a Seasonic, I know it will be quiet. However, as usual, I will probably search for hardware reviews of this PSU before actually purchasing it. I wonder if they have a 600w version.

Another contender is the Corsair HX620 (also made by Seasonic), the only drawback is the lower efficiency of "only" 83% instead of 88% for the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS series. Of course, those percentages represents peak efficiency, not constant across the range of different loads. However, based on several Seasonic reviews I've read, their energy efficiency is pretty much flat across the board. I recall that my Seasonic S12 is ranges between a low of 77% to a max of 83%.

Just my $0.02 I guess.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
damn!! u guys have got me thinking now!! a quick trip to the computer shop to pick up an antec 550true power and return my coolermaster --exchanges are permitted within a week.antec is currently out of stock here.i gave my antec and took a coolermaster bcoz (a)coolermaster had a 600watts psu for the same price as an antec550watts (b)the antec psu cooling fan was making some kind of weird noise.
isnt coolermaster a good reputed brand??

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Saved! :bounce:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Noise?... Noise?... I don't hear no F..ing noise!... or is that badges? :lol:

Seriously, It's hard to argue against the manufacturer that PC Power & Cooling OEMs their PSUs from, but noise aside, the Silencer 610 is cheaper and It's hard to get anyone to even pony up the $120.00. Plus Seasonic claims 18A per rail, assuming they aren't lying, and I prefer the single 49A rail. I guess it's a matter of choice.

The Corsair also has those really cheesy modular ribbon cables. I don't like modular, and I certainly don't like the junk insulation on the ribbon cables. I believe, unconfirmed, that the gauge of wire is smaller as well. Just something to consider in the whole package.

I can certainly understand your concern for noise when building an HTPC.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Corsair HX series seem to be based off Seasonic M12 design, which is known to be sometimes a bit warm (I said warm, not hot) and sometimes needs the fan to do some work, but I have no problem with that! Seasonic S12 are slightly more powerful and efficient, however you are giving up modular cabling, which is not worth it in my eyes. Either way you are still getting one hell of a unit.

Yeah well, seasonic admitted it was a small lie on their part, even though they advertise 4 rails, they have a single huge 12V rail design, I believe this is why the Corsair HX series have advertised 4 rails and the Antec Neo series 3 rails, yet they both output the same amount of current on the combined (And single for that matter) 12V rail. Silencer has 49A, 620HX has 50A, and modular cabling to me is a plus, but then again some people might not like it and it won't be the end of the world. As I said above, either way you go you won't be sorry.

We will never have a clear winner between Seasonic products vs Seasonic products, because they are all so damn good :D

I never said the Corsair HX is based on the Seasonic S12. I merely stated that Corsair PSUs are built by Seasonic.

The Seasonic S12 500 is what I have right now and when I move it over to my yet to be built HTPC, I will most likely replace it with one of the newer S12 Energy Plus PSUs.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

I suspected that they lied (white lie).
That is hard to argue.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Never said you did, the S12 is not modular, but I guess you already knew that :D And yeah... those Energy Plus 550-HT and 650-HT are awesome units.

TRENDING THREADS