Building first PC, case question

Blips

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards and building my first PC in the coming weeks. I'm planning on building a slightly modified version of the midrange system in September's building marathon, but sadly the recommended case (the SilverStone Temjin TJ02) is not available for purchase at any retailers I could find. Could someone recommend a worthy case?

I know what I want to put inside, just want to make sure my expensive parts are well protected. I saw the Antec 900 recommended in another thread. Any others? My price range is around the $150 mark for the case. Is a mid-size case appropriate or should I buy a larger one? Beyond the midrange system components mentioned in the marathon, I'll be adding a PCI capture card for video editing. My PC will be used primarily for gaming, editing, and day to day tasks like homework and web surfing. Thank you all for your help. I love the matter of fact, simplicity of the site.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The Antec Sonata III is also a nice case. Suggest you go to newegg and check out cases, sort by ratings. When reading the ratings take them with a grain/shaker of salt. But you'll find certain companies like Antec and Cool Master have a lot of highly rated cases. If the case doesn't come with a PSU, both Antec and FSB make good ones. You should get one with at least 500w. I just picked up the Antec HE 550 and really like it, module cabling that is really nice feature but not must have

flycpd

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I curently have two computers (well actually 7 total in the house that I built) running in my bedroom. One uses the Silverstone case and the one I just built is in the Gigabyte iSolo case. It is a great case (almost the same as the Silverstone). Newegg curently has them in stock, and they are cheaper than the silverstone. I would highly recomend the new Gigabyte case.

gibsonmj23

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Hey Brother!!

Get this case from newegg:
XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

It is quite possibly the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It also comes with a lot of extras for easy install of drives and a storage compartment. The coolest thing about this is the HUGE twin fans. It is super quiet and super cool. It cools my overclocked amd 6000 and geforce 8800gts easily.

AMDx2 6000
Geforce GTS 8800
2gb ADATA DDR2 800
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition (BEST AMD MOTHERBOARD EVER)

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
For $. 150 I say Antec 900, it's a good mid tower cooling case. For full tower one, Thermaltake Armor with 250mm side panel fan. Your sys won't get hot :) with both case above.

kevin c

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
i have an antec p-180 i have a problin with it . i turn it on only to discover it already is on the case runs that quiet. some of my friends run some pretty extreame systems they are in awe of the quietness of the case. i used to have a very noisy computer and i said never again so i picked componits for power and sound level

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
antec would be a great buy.the p-180,900.how about the coolermaster cosmos?its huge and spacious and the interiors remind me a bit of the Hp blackbird2.solid and damn heavy.coolermaster has some other good stuff --the cavaliers and the centurions.

Couldn't agree more, but I found it cheaper here:
Case - $70 shipped - $20 MIR = $50! Can hold 2 8800gtx’s!! What a deal
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower Case Retail ***Free Shipping***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006342

Reviews
cluboverclocker.com:September 2007
This is one nice mid-tower. While the case has a ton going for it, it could be a little better. There is no removable motherboard tray and the case is made of heavy steel. Those are very small complaints when you look at the case as a whole. A big plus for this case is it will fit 2 8800GTX's in SLI. I have an 8800GTS installed and you can see all of the extra room available. This case is also designed for nice airflow while keeping the noise down. The HDD trays have rubber grommets to eliminate noise causing vibration and the power supply opening is lined with a rubber gasket to do the same. The large 120mm fans will move more air at less RPMs than a 80mm fan. This will also cut your noise level down. Even the large rubber feet will help keep the noise level down. Overall this is a very nice case loaded with features that you'd find on much more expensive cases. Club Overclocker Recommended!

A nice budget build case, if your not going too extreme on your system.
Case - $45 shipped Tough to beat the quality and price on this one.
COOLER MASTER RC-330-KKN1-GP Elite 330 Mid Tower Case (Black) Retail ***Free Shipping*** (RoHS Certified) w/o Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119115

BTW, what is your total build budget for your system? What are you planning on for all of your parts? We can help you narrow down your selections and probably save you some heartache and $ :)

Game_Fanatik

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I have the Antec 900. I'm very pleased with it. It fits my 8800gtx plus keeps my P5N32-E SLI & graphix card quite cool. I regret not getting it on Fry's when it went on sale for $89. If you plan on getting it, keep a look out on Fry's website.

laterz...

Keep an eye out for case closeouts at compusa.com and Fry's.com. I've gotten 2 cases (one antec and one coolergiant-enermax) with $50 rebates and free shipping. They're sometimes listed at slickdeals.net.