build based on highend system article

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003
Need to update my 4 year old PIV 3.0GHZ, ATI AIW X800XT system with 1GB Corsair PC3200. After reading through the high end article here and over at sharkyextreme I have put together a wish list at newegg with the following:

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Intel E6850 core 2 duo
Crucial ballistix PC2 6400 X 2 for 4GB total (same part# as recommended in high end build article)
EVGA 8800GTX 768-P2-N831-AR
PCP&C 750w pwr supply

I might dable in overclocking a bit but will probably just run it stock at first. I have a Dell 2407 24" monitor that I would really like to run at full resolution and looking forward to playing the new COD 4 coming soon. I am also a MS FSX player as well as BF2-2142, COD UO and COD2. I also run Photoshop CS3 which is why I really want all the RAM i can get even if the 32bit sys wont see it all. it will see most of it.

If I might ask you knowlegable people what your thoughts are on this system and if I should consider some changes? Thank you for any info in advance.

Jeff

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
not sure but crysis will. one more thing, that q6600 will give u more benefit as more and more porgrams will come which will benefit from multi cores. it will be better to go for 2X2gb ram rather than 2X1gb as ram's consumption is increasing rapidly. and if u use vista then there is a high chance that u will need more ram in the future so go for 2X2gb ram. if u r not thinking of sli'ing your rig then go for a x38 or p35 chipset. its faster & better overclocker. hope i helped.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003
Excellent info thanks. I am not going with two cards at the moment but might in the not too distant future. Is the performance with two cards in SLI worth the money?

Yes, if you have a lot of money and a 2560x1600 resolution and you're playing FPS games and you're picky. I guess it's not worth it for most people, but for some it is a very good thing. For example if your PC already costs $4000+ (monitor included), adding another $500 video card to get 60% more fps makes a lot of sense.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003

Well my system is not going to cost that much but I am picky. I have a Dell2407 24" monitor and I do play graphics intesive games at full resolution like FSX, COD2 BF2-2142 and I plan on building for some of the new games comming up. I just dont want to be limited to one card if it will make a big difference to get a second card down the line some time. Is there a big performance hit using a single card on an SLI board Vs a single card on a X38 or P35 board?

Actually, some 680i boards (i.e. SLI boards) have a feature called LinkBoost (if I remember the name right) which makes the 8800GTX a few percentage points faster than on a P35 board. Nothing really useful, but they're definitely not getting a performance hit, on the contrary.

If you decide to get a SLI board and you think you'll probably add a second card later, then get the PC P&C 750. If one card is enough, take Zorg's advice.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003

Ok sounds good. I think i will invest in a good power supply even if its a bit of overkill. That way it should be usable longer.

Now a question on the RAM. Is the PC2 6400 from crucial really just as good as the 8500? In the article they mention that the 6400 is actually 8000. what if I choose not to OC? Heck with the rebate at newegg on the 6400 I can get 4GB for under what I would get 2GB of the 8500

Get the 6400, and yes I'd get 4 GB. Heck, I did get 4 GB for myself, and I don't even have a 64-bit OS yet. It is already better than what you need. It will allow some nice overclocking if you decide to try it.

The 8500 version is worth it only for people who know for sure that they will overclock and know a lot about overclocking and intend to do it to very high levels.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003
Thank you guys very much for the info. I forgot to ask. Is the brand of Vid card a good choice as well? Any advantage going with an ASUS branded one on an Asus board?

Yes, eVGA is the best brand in video cards. I also like BFG 8800 GTX OC2 (that's what I got myself) and MSI.

Edit: no advantage to Asus cards compared to evga or bfg or msi or xfx cards. However, in general, using an 8800 GTX (any brand) on the P5N32-E SLI will allow you to take advantage of something called LinkBoost, it will make it a little bit faster. You'll have to Google it for details, sorry, it's been 9 months since I read about it.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
PcPower&Cooling makes top-shelf PSU's, only Enermax & Zippy compare at this level.
You just can't go wrong with EVGA, with the "step-up" program after 3mos you simply send them your "working" video card with the balance for the upgraded or newer card of your choice, you lose no money in the deal..
Is the PC2 6400 from crucial really just as good as the 8500?
list the definition of "good" as used in this sentence...

In the article they mention that the 6400 is actually 8000.
what did he say...

what if I choose not to OC?
you'll be stripped of your citizenship and sent abroad to foreign soils, then forced to work in a AMD factory stamping out CPU dies for $.05 per hour.

Heck with the rebate at newegg on the 6400 I can get 4GB for under what I would get 2GB of the 8500
Isn't marketing wonderful...when was the last rebate check that you got back from a manufacturer.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003

Actually I have gotton back every rebate i have put in for albeit sometimes not without a fight. I did read that someone just got their rebate back from Crucial after about 8 weeks so thats not too bad. I am not considering this memory because of the rebate. I have had bad experience with Corsair and I want good reliable fast memory.

jwhee0615

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2003

I understand Patiot is a good one but I have also read that Crucial is the retail division for Micron who manufactures memory for most all of these companies anyway so I guess I thought I would just go to the source in the first place.