Best option for everyday gaming, etc.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am about to build a relatively inexpensive computer for some gaming and everyday use, internet browsing and some video encoding/editing. I highly doubt I will be able to use even most of a 500gb drive, but I am really attracted to the seagate 7200.11 drive with the 32mb cache. However, I feel like if I won't be able to use all of the space, it just wont be worth the money. I was also looking at the seagate 250gb with 32mb cache, but 250 seems a little light on space. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for my setup, maybe a regular 16mb cache 320gig drive? I'm just looking for good performance without unnecessary specs.

my system: q6600, GA-p35-ds3l (no RAID options), 8800gt, 2x2gb ddr2 800 ram (full list below my name)

Thanks a lot!

I don't think you would be able to detect any performance difference among the drives you mentioned. Video work can use up lots of space. I would be inclined to get the larger drive, particularly because it does not cost that much more.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You will not get more FPS from faster HDs. If you start downloading video and ripping DVDs that 500gb will go a lot faster than you think. Also, check out WDs 640gb drive, two 320gb platters should make it pretty quick.

I'm also from Ann Arbor. Live on the west side where I heat my basement with my video card :lol: