Seeing a big difference in idle/gaming/load temps

chmurray

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Hello,

Working on my second build, first oc, Q6600, 4-4-4-12 DDR2800 RAM. It's pretty new and I haven't yet passed the burn-in period for AS5. First day, stock cpu voltage (ram voltage bumped to 2.1), cpu was 41C idle, ~50C gaming, and running prime would push it into 65+ before I shut it down on test 2. Using coretemps to monitor temperature.

I can easily get to 9x333 at stock voltage and 4-4-4-12 RAM timings. I've got it now at 9x356 (3.2), still at stock voltage (1.26) but I did relax the RAM settings to 5-5-5-15. The RAM fsb is ~445.

I'm using the FoxConnX38A and reviews have indicated an inability to surpass 450fsb in oc's. I'm more than fine sticking with 3.2 for the life of this cpu (33% oc on air and stock hsf? hells yeah i'm just a gamer, not an oc'er).

Here are my concerns. At 9x356, since I didn't need to adjust voltages, I'm down to 39-40C idle (burn-in from AS5?), still getting 52-55C gaming. Running a torture test on Prime95 still gets to 65+C very quickly. I did let it get to 70C once, but then I shut it down, so I really don't know what the max temp at load is. I'm not particularly interested in running at temps beyond 60C, tbh.

Should I be worried about the load temperatures on my oc, when they are similar to the temps I was getting at stock cpu values?

I pretty much use this computer for web browsing, office-type crap, school h/w, and heavy gaming. No video editing, or much stressing of all four cores yet.

I might go ahead and toss in an aftermarket hsf in a few months, but right now I'm inclined to just relax about the load temps and game away. What do you think?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Thats a little to hot for full load, altough In reality I dont think there is many apps that will put a load on like prime does. Still though, to hot. I'm really starting to sound like a CoolerMaster undercover sales agent but I would recommend the CM TX-2. I paid $8 AR. I think now they lowered the price and you can get it for $2 AR!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103031

I use this on my E2180 OC. Already comes with some nice paste.(Dont bother putting the AS5 on)