Sign in with
Your question

Stupid SATA installation question

Last response: in Motherboards
October 22, 2007 2:11:36 AM

Bear with me, I thought I was better at this until I realized that you can't just pop in a Serial ATA drive without having done the F6 thing during XP's installation. I'd like to run this by some people and see if my plans are right on at this point or if I'm going to run into the unexpected (again).

I have 1 old PATA DVD-Rom drive, 1 old PATA 120 GB HD, 1 new SATA 2 DVD burner, and 1 new SATA 2 160 GB HD. I'm currently running off of my old XP installation on the PATA HD, and have to reinstall Windows (with SATA 2 drivers). I want to format the SATA HD, install XP on it, then add the PATA HD back on purely for storage (not for booting). Once I get both drives up and running, I want to transfer all the necessary goodies from the old HD to the new one, and once I'm satisfied that the SATA drive has everything important, I'll format the PATA drive so that I free up room for holding downloads and other useless things.

Assuming this can all happen, I'm still not sure what F6 driver (or two) I'm supposed to use during the XP installation. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, and if you follow this link you'll find the SATA RAID drivers at the bottom of the page. If I don't intend to RAID anything, do I still need to install the "Intel ICH9R SATA RAID Driver" or should I just make the "GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver" floppy? Or both?
October 22, 2007 2:30:16 AM

If you are not going to run raid you do not need to install the raid drivers.
October 22, 2007 2:58:24 AM

what he said up there.

if you aren't raiding, there's no need to do the f6 thing.
Related resources
October 22, 2007 2:58:58 AM

I second dallasjoh. Plug the drives in and run them IDE. You only need the AHCI if you are interested in hot swap, RAID or NCQ. Don't bother.
October 22, 2007 3:09:54 AM

Zorg said:
I second dallasjoh. Plug the drives in and run them IDE. You only need the AHCI if you are interested in hot swap, RAID or NCQ. Don't bother.

I thought I wanted at least NCQ for faster processing by the hard drive. If I set all that to IDE, am I not losing out on performance?
October 22, 2007 3:19:27 AM

Not necessarily true, It depends on what you are using it for.
October 22, 2007 3:20:34 AM

Hey there, I would partition the sata with 120/40. Second, you use something like partition magic to duplicate your OS partition. Once this is done, you copy that OS partiotion to the newer sata drive, on the 120 partition, has to be the same. Once the partition is copied, disable the OS partition from the IDE and enable the partition on th SATA. Once in windows on the sata drive, go to disk management and format your old partition. Did this when I bought my raptor, and got into playing games 40 minutes after drive was physically installed. Anyway, might sound complicated, maybe it is, but I got my windows install just as I dd on the previous drive. No format, no loss.
October 22, 2007 3:25:55 AM

Here is a quote from wiki... I know but it is fast.
Native Command Queuing - Wikipedia
Quote:
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA hard disks under certain situations by allowing the individual hard disk to internally optimize the order in which received read and write commands are executed. This can reduce the amount of unnecessary going back-and-forth on the drive's heads, resulting in increased performance (and slightly decreased wear of the drive) for workloads where multiple simultaneous read/write requests are outstanding, most often occurring in server-type applications. However, the current technology actually slows down HD access in certain applications, like games and sequential reads & writes, because of the added latency induced by NCQ logic[1].
October 22, 2007 5:45:44 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, it cleared up a lot of confusion. I couldn't see the SATA drive initially, but I think that's because I had already screwed the pooch, so to speak. Mucking around with the BIOS initially, thinking it would work fine with the old HD, I had it trying to use AHCI/RAID. Too bad, but I could use a clean install of XP anyway, and I had already backed up my mission critical files onto flash drives. So I unhooked the old HD and booted from my CD to format and install XP on the SATA drive.

Things are mostly okay, I'm just reinstalling everything (I did take the advice of creating a smaller partition for the OS on my SATA drive). The only problem I'm encountering is an error I get when trying to move files from the F drive (my old HD) to the E drive (logical drive on my SATA). It's a weird error, because some files will copy, and then I'll get the error and the copying will stop.

"Cannoy copy [filename]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Is this a result of my screwing around with BIOS settings, or are my SATA and PATA devices just not playing nice with each other for some reason? If the old HD has to be reformatted, that's not a horrible thing, but if possible I'd like to salvage some non mission-critical downloads that I didn't have room to back up.
October 23, 2007 2:45:19 AM

I have a P35 DQ6 with a SATA Raptor "C" and a PATA WD something or other. I have had no problems copying files. Set the board for performance default and then download the HD tools for the drive from the manufacturers website and test the drives. Also remember to enable S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS.
!