NTFS fix windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbater

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Somehow, I have a folder on my desktop, and also in another location, which I no longer require. When I try to delete it I receive the error message "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in ..... Verify the item's location and try again."

Hoiw do I get to delete this unwanted folder?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Bob

Solution
try this--its very good at sorting out stuff that wont delete or tell you that you dont have permission etc

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

bbater

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
mcnumpty23's answer was the best because, frankly, it was the only one I got! I tried the registry hack he/she? provided the link to, but it didn't work for me. The folder's still there on my Desktop staring cheekily at me. I've very grateful for mcnumpty23 taking the time and trouble to respond, nevertheless.

If anyone else can offer a possible solution to this problem, I'd of course be most grateful.

Regards,

Bob

bbater

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi Combat Wombat.

Don't quite understand your meaning. It's not a file, it's a folder on my Desktop. The registry hack recommended by mcnumpty23 allows me to take ownership of the object (which I should have had already). In Win7, Properties | Security says the information is unavailable. However, another tool I use - Treesize - reports that I have the same perms as Administrator (since I am an Administrator on my PC). The registry hack made no difference.

I have tried deleting via Windows Explorer, through cmd.exe, and through booting in Safe Mode. Nothing works.

Many thanks for your contribution anyway.

Ciao,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.