e6850 overclock h/w config needed for 4ghz

pzwag

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I want to build a e6850 computer to 4ghz approx
Video card type is not important.
Can anyone recommend a hardware config with settings?
I was going to use a asus p56 delux wifi motherboard (ddr2) but are open to other options.
The best cooling I can find is Freezone Elite CPU cooler
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=184
One issue is unless I get the rest of the components correct, the freezone Elite may give me no extra performance.
Thanks for your help.

toolongtoremember

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
well I got the asus p5n32-e plus mobo - overclocks real well... but its only the 650i chipset not the newest 680i.... but is a slightly better overclocker in my opinion, but you still cant reach the same speeds as a 680i overclocked

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Try and get a board that will support 45nm and wait for the dual cores that are coming out in the next couple of weeks.
You seem like someone who is into some pretty high overclocking so try and wait for a new E8500. They cost about $275 max (less than the E6850) and have already been overclocked to over 4ghz with just air, meaning that the freezone should quite easily take one to 4.3ghz and above.

The elite should get give you extra cooling performance no matter what other components you get.

pzwag

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
thanks for the comments on e8500. I do agree, though the increase is only a tiny bit better. Ive also come into some other snags that my application has dramatic performance changes on one computer vs another. This is strange to me as the application doesnt use video or ram resources, only cpu. Im currently starting on the intel default cooler, then working up to better cooling as time goes on. Ive also figured out I can fake better cooling overclocking test by running prime on 1 cpu only. I figure the point where it fails on one cpu with poor cooling could be the point where it fails on two cores with better cooling. Comments welcome on this. Im failing at about 42 celcuis cpu temp.

pzwag

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
thanks for the comments on e8500. I do agree, though the increase is only a tiny bit better. Ive also come into some other snags that my application has dramatic performance changes on one computer vs another. This is strange to me as the application doesnt use video or ram resources, only cpu. Im currently starting on the intel default cooler, then working up to better cooling as time goes on. Ive also figured out I can fake better cooling overclocking test by running prime on 1 cpu only. I figure the point where it fails on one cpu with poor cooling could be the point where it fails on two cores with better cooling. Comments welcome on this. Im failing at about 42 celcuis cpu temp.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
think it's possible to do this using a 6850 and an Intel 975XBX2 ?

that's my Vista system hardware, though running at stock right
now, with a Noctua NH-U12 heatsink.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
If you use Prime 95 25.5 then you don't need to run two instances. It opens as many worker threads as you have cores automatically.

@pzwag 47c is awefully low for 3.5GHz especially with the stock cooler. Have you calibrated your temperature monitoring yet?

pzwag

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I dont know how to calibrate the temp monitor? Please tell me.
im now @ 3700 mhz , running standard intel cooler, with 12 cm fan's on very high, on a workbench, not in a case.)
cpu peaks 54, cpu heatsink peaks 43, vcore 1.45

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Even though your on a workbench, these temps do seem quite incredible for the Intel cooler. I'm not sure how to calibrate temps in coretemp as I don't use it but I'm sure someone will tell you soon. I wouldn't push it any further until you've calibrated your temps though.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
If nothing else matters pick up an Asus P5K Deluxe or Asus X38.

Either of those should do 4 GHz in a watercooled situation. You may need to consider WCing the Northbridge if it doesn't have a heatpipe solution or a fan on it.

Edit: Also.. I'd consider an E8400 for 4 GHz. Should do it on air without the need for watercooling.

pzwag

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
turns out prime 25.5 will run all cores at 100%
nzxtlexa why I get 47 c cpu temp for a standard intel cooler is because i took off the intel fan (typically 1000 rpm i think when its very hot),
and stuck on a high cfm 12 cm fan. hugh difference in cooling.