Sign in with
Your question

wierd HDD noise...

Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2008 8:41:41 PM

Hi,
I have RAID 0 on my computer 320Gb X 2. :) 
and almost every time that I do something that requires some files access the HDD is not stopping for a while, and is make read/write/access noise ever 1 Sec. exactly! for about 10-20sec.

Here: http://www.GilAmran.com/1.mp3 is a recording that I did... ignore the background noise.
The first "big" HDD noise is after 5Sec. this where I changed tabs in Firefox (nothing special), and from that point almost every 1sec. there's short access... exactly 1 second! :??: 

This is making me crazy :fou: 

• No Anti-Virus
  • No indexing service.
  • No page file.
  • No backup/defrag in the background.
  • Any service that I could I stopped.
  • While I hear this noise I watched ProcMon, and nothing happens... nothing

Before I go and but a new 1Tb. HDD... anyone can help solve this issue???

Thanks
    Gil Amran
  • More about : wierd hdd noise

April 1, 2008 9:24:01 PM

sounds like the CLICK OF DEATH.

but no seriously it kinda sounds like it.
    April 1, 2008 9:45:38 PM

I pulled the HDDs out, and wanted to know which one is making the noise...
    well, BOTH are making the noise... it can be HDD A, it can be HDD B, and it can be BOTH at the same time...

It feels like some background working is going on... it's weird that it's every 1 second exactly!

I start windows in safe-mode for the minimum, and still.. same noise when I access something...

failing HDD will not happened on both HDDs on the same time, and will not be EXACTLY 1 sec. noise...
    Related resources
    April 2, 2008 12:35:16 AM

nop, no Spyware no adware... and no virus...
    Even in Safe Mode, when almost no service and tasks are running... I get these read, read, read... every 1sec... even now while I'm writing... and nothing special in the background..
    April 2, 2008 1:19:41 AM

So it happens when windows isn't loaded then? If so, that other guy is right. Your hard drives are going to die. Get a priest.
    Do you have HD smart monitoring enabled in your bios? 9 times out of 1000 it will tell you your bad HD is bad.
    April 2, 2008 1:23:32 AM

I'm VERY positive that my HDDs are fine...
    maybe it's something basic, in the hardware?

Does any of you use RAID 0? if so, share some info...
    April 2, 2008 1:46:12 AM

You say your positive no viruses ect.... and positive your drives are fine.
    WHY??? Because you said so? Did you test for virus ect.... and did you use HD manufacturer test tools and test your HDD. If you want help we need feedback from you in detail what you have tried.
    April 2, 2008 2:51:02 AM

You may be experiencing exaggerated machanical noise caused by the case, as well as just loud hard drives. I've had some rather loud 'clicky' hard drives, namely my previous 2x250 gb maxtor drives, and 1x320 seagate drive that were just dreadful on noise. One is loud, but two reading and writing in tandem is the worst. I'd pick up some vibration isolators, and back up your data right away to be safe.
    April 2, 2008 4:16:19 AM

or maybe some rubber screws?
    April 2, 2008 5:34:13 AM

gilamran said:
    I'm VERY positive that my HDDs are fine...
    maybe it's something basic, in the hardware?

Does any of you use RAID 0? if so, share some info...

given the paucity of information, difficult to help. But let me takea stab at it...

You are using onboard raid, set to AHCI mode and SMART is enabled. Once a second your controller does a SMART check.
    April 2, 2008 1:14:33 PM

First Thanks to trying to help...

I went to the BIOS and changed the RAID to AHCI and couldn't boot...
    I disabled the SMART to see if this is the problem... but no... same noise with SMART off or on...

Why do you recommend using AHCI? will AHCI support my RAID??
    April 2, 2008 1:50:25 PM

Policeware! The government wants to inspect your pr0n collection.
    April 2, 2008 2:16:08 PM

april fools?

It sounds very unusual though, just like nails on a wooden table. get them checked id say.
    April 2, 2008 3:07:58 PM

use speedfan, everest or something else to read the SMART status of your HDDs, cause that doesn't sound normal. It sounds like its trying to access some data, fails, and tries again and repeats...
    April 2, 2008 4:18:36 PM

I'm thinking that it might be the buffer on the HDDs... but that's just a guess...
    I can't check the HDD SMART data because it's RAID.. it will not read it...
    as far as Windows looks at this HDDs is as one large HDD and not two... so I can't use SMART... (Tell me if I'm wrong)
    April 2, 2008 10:04:53 PM

gilamran said:
    I'm thinking that it might be the buffer on the HDDs... but that's just a guess...
    I can't check the HDD SMART data because it's RAID.. it will not read it...
    as far as Windows looks at this HDDs is as one large HDD and not two... so I can't use SMART... (Tell me if I'm wrong)
    well just download speedfan, its free, and give it a try. It accesses the info on model number bases so I think windows partitioning or raid has nothing to do with it.
    April 3, 2008 1:37:02 AM

SpeedFan does not support RAID... none of the S.M.A.R.T checkers does...
    is there anyone here who really knows what to do or check??
    !