Graphics Driver Update Black Screen

Hello, well I tried updating my graphics card and midway through the install the screen turned black and did nothing after that, couldn't do anything but turn the computer off (which I also know is not good) and now every time I turn the computer on after the Vista logo displays it goes to black screen. I tried booting into safe-mode and tried running the fix for vista but before it gets there, the screen goes black and I can't do anything.

I just bought Windows 7 to format but right after it loads Windows 7 files it goes to the black screen again, and I can't think of any other way to get past that.

So I was just trying to figure out if anyone on here would know how to get past it? I can't fully remember what kind of video card it was but it was a ATI Mobility HD; can't remember the number.
3 answers Last reply
More about graphics driver update black screen
  1. You may have busted the firmware on the card. Does your computer have onboard graphics? You could try that but its interesting that it would show up before the OS loads.
  2. If it's an ATI Mobility, you have a laptop, which means you may have an issue here as you can't try another video card. If you don't have a laptop, open your case and look at the card, it is not a Mobility.

Start in Safe Mode with Networking, uninstall the video card drivers from Add/Remove and also the hardware for it from Device Manager. Don't reboot yet. Download the video drivers for the system from the vendor site (don't use generic drivers from ATI, it is better for laptops to use the vendor files).

Reboot, the PC should start with the VGA drivers, you'll have big icons and so forth. You should see a "new hardware found" message, cancel out of that. Run the driver files for the video card, reboot, see how it runs.

Another thing, which would be odd if it happened, connect an external monitor to the laptop when the screen goes black, see if an image comes up on the monitor. You may have some odd setting that just changed the active display on you.
  3. Hello...
    I'm having the same exact problem although mine is on a laptop with Intel HD 3000 GPU.

From your solution, I don't really understand what do you mean by run the drivers? I have downloaded drivers in safe mode but I don't get what I should do next....
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows Vista