M/B Busted need new, 7950 GX2 Compatible

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi,

I've recently knackered my old Intel Bad Axe M/B (Bad me, naughty me, in my bed, on my rug!), and I need to get a new one. My problem is that I have a Leadtek 7950GX2 (which I'll be upgrading in the new year). When I first got this graphics card, I had problems with motherboard compatibility, and had to upgrade the BIOS with an old PCI card. I know there are a lot of motherboards that do not work with this graphics card, and the compatibility list on NVidia's website is somewhat out of date.

So, is there anyone out there who can recommend a new board that will work out of the box? Personal experience would be useful! I'm looking to spend up to £120 (the lower the better, but i do like to overclock). Any links from UK vendors are much appreciated as well.

My cooler is an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, if needed. The rest of my build is in my sig.

Thanks in advance!

akhilles

Splendid
Yes, any board will with PCI-E x16. Intel-chipset-based mobos do crossfire. You can put one nvidia card on it. Heck, my family pc has P35 + 7300. Runs like a dream. But you can't sli on CF mobo (run 2 nvidia cards in sli on P35/P965/X38/X48...).

I'd suggest ASUS P5K / WIFI / DELUXE. Any of these are good. Don't bother with SE = garbage.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
It may only be one card, but it is still essentially running SLI.

I don't want to end up forking out for a new motherboard, and find that my graphics card is only using the equivalent of half it's power.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
As stated in my OP, i was fully aware of the Nvidia list showing compatible motherboards, what i was trying to get was a recommendation by someone who already has this card with a newer motherboard.

For example I would like a P35 motherboard, yet none are on this list, hence why i wanted a recommendation.