Sign in with
Your question

High pitch squeal from a newly built rig

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2007 3:01:52 AM

I just built myself a new system today. I thought I connected everything correctly but the second I powered up, there was a high pitched squealing sound coming from something. I couldn't tell exactly where the sound was coming from. I immediately powered down because stuff like that scares me. Other than the sound, everything seemed to be functioning normally as far as I could tell. All the fans were running and there was seemingly normal stuff on the screen. Anyone know what the problem could be? Should I try to pinpoint the source of the sound?

Hopefully I didn't screw up. Last computer I built was 5 years ago.

Here is my system in case it matters:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H Motherboard
COOLER MASTER Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
G.Skill (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
FSP Group (Fortron Source) 500W Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
September 26, 2007 3:33:48 AM

The high squeal sound may be coming from your PSU. I don't know if it's bad or not, but my PC has a high squealing noise coming out of it when it is turned off. It may also be your hard drive humming. I'm not sure though. One way to find out is to turn it on and listen. If you didn't see smoke already, you probably won't see it.
September 26, 2007 3:39:10 AM

Last one I built did the same. Mine was the fan on the chip set. I took it off and put on a nice after market heat sink. Yours may not be a chipset fan but is defiinately a fan IMO.
Related resources
September 26, 2007 3:39:27 AM

Last one I built did the same. Mine was the fan on the chip set. I took it off and put on a nice after market heat sink. Yours may not be a chipset fan but is defiinately a fan IMO.
September 26, 2007 11:10:32 PM

Not plugging in the 6pin PCI-E plug into the 8800 card or having it under powered will produce a sound like a stuck pig coming from the card.
September 27, 2007 7:07:10 AM

Well, there are only a few culprits.

1. The CPU fan
2. The PSU fan
3. The GPU fan
4. Any other fan you attached to the case.

Make sure all your components are connected properly.

I had to guess I begin listening very closely to the GPU fan.
September 27, 2007 9:14:34 AM

Could be the fans like some people say but not always. I had a PSU that was make a high pitched noise, within a couple of months it blew :S, not to say urs will :) 

If u can manage to control to speed of ur fans once booted u can try that and if there is a pitch change when u change the fan speed u have ur culprit. I personally wouldn't recommend sticking ur finger in and stopping the fan, which i have seen some people suggest on these forums.

If it was the PSU u would probably still hear the noise even when the computer is not turn on, still plugged in though, as current would still be going through offending circuitry/components.

So if the sound only happens when computer fully on it probably is the fans.
September 27, 2007 9:58:48 AM

My PC does the same thing but ONLY when running certain things. 3DMark CPU tests often do it, but sometimes they don't. Most times it is just a hiss, but the tests make a high pitched sound that is impossible to pinpoint. I think it's the motherboard.
September 27, 2007 10:24:47 AM

One thing it could be if it changes with various usage task, check its not coming from ur speakers. I think its mainly to do with EMI and can be exsparated by a bad PSU.

I had low level noise on my speakers with my last PSU even when doing simple things like moving a window. Its gone now or at least not nearly as audible.
September 27, 2007 11:11:50 AM

With me, it happens often in games, but only in certain menus and situations strangely. Like for example, in COD2, there is no sound while loading, but as soon as the "Click to continue" or whatever comes up the hiss starts. And it doesn't come through the speakers.

My PSU is a corsair HX-520.
September 27, 2007 1:06:42 PM

If it is an almost ear-piercing high pitched squeal then it is your video card. Had two 8800GTXs in SLI and was running them off the FSP 300W Auxiliary Power supplies and one of them was not putting out the right voltage. 8800's (GTX and GTS) have a small piezoelectric sirens on them that warn in case of undervoltage/undercurrent. Either the PCI-E connector is not plugged in, not plugged in well enough or your power supply is not putting out enough on the PCI-E cable.
September 27, 2007 1:37:19 PM

Check the video card power connector.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2007 1:39:55 PM

Yes, try to find the source of the sound.
If I had to guess, you're seeing normal things on the monitor because it is plugged into your mobo's integrated graphics port, but your 8800GTS is complaining because its PCIE power connection is not plugged in.
September 28, 2007 2:16:42 PM

Yep, it was the vid card power connector. Damn, you guys are good. Last time I built a machine (5 years ago) vid cards didn't need extra power so I didn't realize it needed to be plugged in. Thanks to everyone.
!