Getting ATI X1600 Pro to work on Win2k

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I've been having a hell of a time getting my x1600 pro to work with windows 2000 (SP4). Both the catalyst control center and the simpler ATI display drivers will not install on Windows 2000 (SP4). Right now I'm using Omega drivers which work for the time being but result in a lot of DirectX errors in some games, causing most to crash (including any games that use the the Source engine, ugh!) Does anyone know a workaround for this? Thanks

Sakaris

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
ATI Catalyst Control Center requires .Net--which IS available for win2k as well and I have it installed--but with a little digging on the ATI/AMD website you can find the display drivers by themselves. Even these, however, won't install without XP. Third party drivers all seem to support 2000/xp in the same installation package. It doesn't appear that the 1st party ATI drivers themselves won't work with win2k, its that the installation program won't let you continue when it detects you don't have XP. Initially I managed to load the driver files individually from the installation cd, but these are quite outdated and I was at a loss for any kind of advanced config.