Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

I have been trying for hours to build a hightway bridge over the
water, litteraly. I keep getting the message..Cannot build on this
terrain, or, Slope too great, or something like that.

Mike

Splendid

"Piccolo" <d@k.net> wrote in message
> I have been trying for hours to build a hightway bridge over the
> water, litteraly. I keep getting the message..Cannot build on this
> terrain, or, Slope too great, or something like that.

Smooth out the beach area on the edges of the land. You need bits that go
parallel to the boxes, not at an angle.

Mike

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:40:27 +0100, "Mike"
<mike_tlnoREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Piccolo" <d@k.net> wrote in message
>> I have been trying for hours to build a hightway bridge over the
>> water, litteraly. I keep getting the message..Cannot build on this
>> terrain, or, Slope too great, or something like that.
>
>Smooth out the beach area on the edges of the land. You need bits that go
>parallel to the boxes, not at an angle.
>
>Mike

I dont know what im doing wrong, I have tried raising the land,
lowering the land, smoothing the land to where i can build to the edge
of the water, yet no matter what I do it wont let me build a bridge.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:42:11 -0500, Piccolo <d@k.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:40:27 +0100, "Mike"
><mike_tlnoREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Piccolo" <d@k.net> wrote in message
>>> I have been trying for hours to build a hightway bridge over the
>>> water, litteraly. I keep getting the message..Cannot build on this
>>> terrain, or, Slope too great, or something like that.
>>
>>Smooth out the beach area on the edges of the land. You need bits that go
>>parallel to the boxes, not at an angle.
>>
>>Mike
>
>I dont know what im doing wrong, I have tried raising the land,
>lowering the land, smoothing the land to where i can build to the edge
>of the water, yet no matter what I do it wont let me build a bridge.

OK, I got it. I had to build a rail bridge beside where I wanted the
highway bridge. The rail bridge automatically smoothed out the land. I
then used the tool that lets me make the land even, and smoothed it
out. made sure I could lay a rail bridge, did the same thing on the
rest of the shore area, did the same, and then I was able to build a
bridge, lol

Piccolo wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:40:27 +0100, "Mike"
> <mike_tlnoREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Piccolo" <d@k.net> wrote in message
> >> I have been trying for hours to build a hightway bridge over the
> >> water, litteraly. I keep getting the message..Cannot build on this
> >> terrain, or, Slope too great, or something like that.
> >
> >Smooth out the beach area on the edges of the land. You need bits that go
> >parallel to the boxes, not at an angle.
> >
> >Mike
>
> I dont know what im doing wrong, I have tried raising the land,
> lowering the land, smoothing the land to where i can build to the edge
> of the water, yet no matter what I do it wont let me build a bridge.

Couple of not-quite-so-obvious items that have come up while I've tried
bridge building.

1) You can't build them diagonally.

2) Many times you'll get a red indicator if you don't drag the road tool
over a sufficient distance. Starting a few squares from the water's
edge and ending that far away will cause this. Go a little extra
distance, both at the start and the end.
---
Mike

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On 09 Apr 2004 22:54:16 EDT, Mike Richmann <richmann@concentric.net>
wrote:

>Piccolo wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:40:27 +0100, "Mike"
>> <mike_tlnoREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"Piccolo" <d@k.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Smooth out the beach area on the edges of the land. You need bits that go
>> >parallel to the boxes, not at an angle.
>> >
>> >Mike
>>
>> I dont know what im doing wrong, I have tried raising the land,
>> lowering the land, smoothing the land to where i can build to the edge
>> of the water, yet no matter what I do it wont let me build a bridge.
>

>Couple of not-quite-so-obvious items that have come up while I've tried
>bridge building.
>
>1) You can't build them diagonally.
>
>2) Many times you'll get a red indicator if you don't drag the road tool
>over a sufficient distance. Starting a few squares from the water's
>edge and ending that far away will cause this. Go a little extra
>distance, both at the start and the end.
>---
>Mike

thanks, yea, I did notice that you have to go a bit extra in distance.
lol, releived I got it finished, only took me like 6 hours of trying.
heh

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

After all that work, I hope you are at least going to collect tolls. :)

> On 09 Apr 2004 22:54:16 EDT, Mike Richmann <richmann@concentric.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Piccolo wrote:

> >> I dont know what im doing wrong, I have tried raising the land,
> >> lowering the land, smoothing the land to where i can build to the edge
> >> of the water, yet no matter what I do it wont let me build a bridge.
> >

> >Couple of not-quite-so-obvious items that have come up while I've tried
> >bridge building.
> >
> >1) You can't build them diagonally.
> >
> >2) Many times you'll get a red indicator if you don't drag the road tool
> >over a sufficient distance. Starting a few squares from the water's
> >edge and ending that far away will cause this. Go a little extra
> >distance, both at the start and the end.
> >---
> >Mike
>
> thanks, yea, I did notice that you have to go a bit extra in distance.
> lol, releived I got it finished, only took me like 6 hours of trying.
> heh

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

lol, yep, have 3