XP firewall still grayed out

July 10, 2005 11:33:16 PM

I've tried everything. After download of SP2 I tried several things to no
avail. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. I uninstalled Norton 2003. But the options
to turn on XP firewall are still grayed out. Any ideas?

More about : firewall grayed

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:33:17 PM

In news:0KeAe.61$ck6.15@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com,
Pete <Pete@nospam.com> typed:

> I've tried everything. After download of SP2 I tried several
> things
> to no avail. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. I uninstalled Norton
> 2003. But
> the options to turn on XP firewall are still grayed out. Any
> ideas?

I don't know why you're having the problem, but if you have been
running ZoneAlarm, why are you trying to turn on the XP firewall?
You shouldn't run more than one software firewall, and ZoneAlarm
is a better choice than the XP firewall.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 11, 2005 12:49:20 AM

> In news:0KeAe.61$ck6.15@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com,
> Pete <Pete@nospam.com> typed:
>
>> I've tried everything. After download of SP2 I tried several things
>> to no avail. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. I uninstalled Norton 2003. But
>> the options to turn on XP firewall are still grayed out. Any ideas?
>

> I don't know why you're having the problem, but if you have been running
> ZoneAlarm, why are you trying to turn on the XP firewall? You shouldn't
> run more than one software firewall, and ZoneAlarm is a better choice than
> the XP firewall.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

I just like everything to work, and I figure the XP firewall conserves
resources.
Thanks, I'll just run ZoneAlarm.
July 11, 2005 12:49:21 AM

It "may" conserve resources - at the risk of not thoroughly protecting your
computer and personal information therein.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

In news:kRfAe.135$8y1.36@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
Pete@nospam.com <Pete@nospam.com> typed:

>> I don't know why you're having the problem, but if you have
>> been
>> running ZoneAlarm, why are you trying to turn on the XP
>> firewall?
>> You shouldn't run more than one software firewall, and
>> ZoneAlarm is
>> a better choice than the XP firewall.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
> I just like everything to work, and I figure the XP firewall
> conserves
> resources.
> Thanks, I'll just run ZoneAlarm.

You're welcome, but if you want to conserve resources, run no
firewall at all. If you want to do the best job of protecting
yourself, run the best firewall you can find.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 11, 2005 7:19:34 PM

news:o rGeShbhFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:kRfAe.135$8y1.36@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
> Pete@nospam.com <Pete@nospam.com> typed:
>
>>> I don't know why you're having the problem, but if you have been
>>> running ZoneAlarm, why are you trying to turn on the XP firewall?
>>> You shouldn't run more than one software firewall, and ZoneAlarm is
>>> a better choice than the XP firewall.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>>
>> I just like everything to work, and I figure the XP firewall conserves
>> resources.
>> Thanks, I'll just run ZoneAlarm.
>

> You're welcome, but if you want to conserve resources, run no firewall at
> all. If you want to do the best job of protecting yourself, run the best
> firewall you can find.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
Also a consideration is that with ZoneAlarm other users in the network can't
see my printer.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:19:35 PM

In news:a6wAe.309$8y1.258@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
Pete <Pete@nospam.com> typed:

> news:o rGeShbhFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> In news:kRfAe.135$8y1.36@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
>> Pete@nospam.com <Pete@nospam.com> typed:

> Also a consideration is that with ZoneAlarm other users in the
> network can't see my printer.

Then you have it configured wrong. I can assure you that ZA can
let others on the network use your printer. It works fine with ZA
here.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!