Sign in with
Your question

Can a CRT monitor be too close to the Case?

Last response: in Components
October 2, 2007 11:49:39 PM

This is a very general question that didn't seem to fall into any category so I wasn't sure where I should post.

Can a CRT monitor be too close to the Case?

How far away should a large 21 inch CRT monitor be from the case? At the moment, I have a dual monitor set-up (one LCD and one CRT). The most convenient way for it to work in my office is to have the case sitting about 8 inches away from the second monitor (the CRT).

I ’m concerned about static, magnetic charges, etc. from the monitor being so close to the case components. Any advice would be appreciated, as I would like to get this set up tonight.

Thanks.

More about : crt monitor close case

October 3, 2007 12:17:46 AM

Dude just switch the crt and the lcd on the desk so the lcd is closer to the case, simple as that =)
October 3, 2007 12:25:06 AM

You could expect interference on any other analog device that has cables passing near the monitor, but I wouldn't be worried about damaging case components.
Related resources
October 3, 2007 12:39:43 AM

You'll know if your getting interference on the CRT. The picture will shimmer. (Just put a mobile phone while your talking on it as a demo), if it's not Don't worry.
October 3, 2007 12:40:17 AM

There is no firm rule. A lot depends on if your case has proper magnetic shielding, and vice versa. Magnetic interference goes by spherical surface area, as far as the range goes. Assuming you have normal commercial gear, 1mm is pretty much always risky, 1 meter is pretty much always safe. If you're concerned, you could always tape some shielding to the side of your case.
October 3, 2007 12:43:42 AM

Well since for years crt's sat on the computer(desktop cases)

As for interference it seems to only be crt's interfere(this is not taking into consideration that big ass degauss when you fire it up) with other crts(and tvs) for the most part....A fan will interfere by way of making the image flicker, but this is different from screen to screen...

for reference I had a crt sitting on a computer next to another....never had a problem....to add to it there is a tv right next to the computer....

they run close to one another.... :)  no probs...
October 5, 2007 2:46:31 AM

The only time I've had interference to a CRT monitor is with speakers that are too close or power leads going under the monitor.
I have heard of a tech support call in a large company when the user had moved his monitor around and then called the help desk and said my monitor is not working!! When the tech got there the monitor had been put in front of a major power junction box. :o  Not sure why it wasn't working. :non: 
October 5, 2007 3:43:49 AM

Off topic:

You use winamp!!
Hi-5
WMP and iTunes FTL
October 5, 2007 4:10:33 AM

It probably depends somewhat on the monitor as well... I saw someone whose monitor was right up against the case (small desk) and it was always getting the picture all messed up. I'd degaus and it'd be fine for a few minutes but then start getting worse. I guess it was too close to the hard drive magnets or something. Funny though, the person just chalked it up to a faulty monitor and not their setup.

-mcg
October 5, 2007 5:16:03 AM

MrCommunistGen said:
It probably depends somewhat on the monitor as well... I saw someone whose monitor was right up against the case (small desk) and it was always getting the picture all messed up. I'd degaus and it'd be fine for a few minutes but then start getting worse. I guess it was too close to the hard drive magnets or something. Funny though, the person just chalked it up to a faulty monitor and not their setup.

-mcg

Have you ever taken out a hard drive magnet?
Those suckers are powerful(and if you put one to the screen it will be messed for life)!!! i mean they will crush your finger.....i have some on the fridge :)  try taking those off!!!

CRT is affected by strong magnetic fields..... I forgot about speakers....keep your sub at least 2-3 feet away if its not shielded....
October 5, 2007 6:36:18 AM

Thanks for all your helpful replies. My situation was that I had a new build on one side of the office, my old setup on the other, and had to finally get things in order. What had me concerned was when this particular CRT turns on, it’s much louder than any other CRT I’ve had in the past. When it turns on you hear it click and then what I can only describe as a loud rush of crackling static for about 2-3 seconds (so I’m immediately thinking it shouldn’t be so close to my case). If it hadn’t been for that, I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought. Thank you all again for your responses.

I have a large custom built U-shaped desk (about 10’ by 6’) on one side of the office so as it turns out, after moving things around, the CRT is on my right which puts it about 6’ away from my case although I should note that when I had it setup as initially intended, there was no interference.
October 5, 2007 6:48:26 AM

Yes I have taken apart hard drives and they are actually quite fun. I had several old hard drives all under 2GB that were bum slow and pretty much useless. You can throw the magnets at metallic surfaces and they stick... too bad they tend to crack when you throw them too hard.

-mcg
October 5, 2007 12:05:57 PM

Nice question.

My CTR started becoming seriously (and permanently) messed up. I had my subwoofer next to my CTR for at least 3 years. That's a bad thing, putting it right next to your case is bad as well.

Speakers get screwed up too. I have a wireless modem and I have to keep the two as far away as possible. My cellphone has to be in a third place as well.

Keeping the things above I've said in mind, keep the CTR and case next to each other, even if it means spending money on Neon lights you'll never see ;) 
!