A bunch of cf cards in raid 0???

phil0083

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A bunch of cf cards in raid 0???
« on: Today at 05:23:58 AM »

Ok it is my perceived plan to get 4 either 8 or 16gb cf cards BUT they need to be at least 233x or higher and get 4 cf to sata adapters and run them in software raid 0 (since i cant afford a true raid card with its own dedicated processor and cache and there would be no point in buying just a standard sata controller if ones already built into the motherboard).

questions, suggestions, comments or concerns???

I would like only constructive criticism please none of that ranting and raving bullcrap about how im doing it all wrong or something....thank you!!!

ive read a lot of mechanical hdd specs and the average write speed from buffer to disk is about 120MB/s and if the cf cards I buy are minimum 233x and actually run at 233x then theoretically i could squeeze out roughly 130MB/s out of them, and yes I know that your not always going to get max throughput on stuff but if I can get close im happy.

My plan is to have close to or the same specs as I would an ssd thats worth anywhere from $500-$1000 but comeout on top money wise.

Any hardware/product reviews/recommendations are welcome and I will gladly look into it!!

Thanks a bunch, Phil

rockchalk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Interesting idea. The only CF->SATA adapter I saw was $50. In the interest of keeping the price down, have you considered using CF->IDE converters (~$10) and using an IDE RAID card?