Barcelona OC's to 4.1GHZ On Air . . .

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I had my good laugh, before I forced my finger to type a more rational message...

There are tons of reasons why Barcey cannot clock above 3.0Ghz, and I'll list three.

1. SOI
2. AMD's 65nm
3. Barcey's transistors.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Hey....I want to review the QX9650.

Maybe Intel will pony up so the review will be excellent.
(or maybe they will not have to)

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
lol... well then.

I find it very unlikely. If I already had my new 2P 1U, I'd find out for sure, but it wont be here for a few months. By then we'll have Phenom numbers, so it's pretty pointless.

mrmez

Splendid
All i wanna know...
Who are the "3 out of 22 people found this review helpful."
WTF are u guys smoking, and can i have some.

PS. Its obviously a JOKE... the funny thing about jokes... they are supposed to be FUNNY.
That was about as entertaining as watching old people ****

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Ok, I understand that the ppl on newegg that wrote the review (the later one OC'ed to 4,7GHz!!!) probably work for AMD but what's that comment about confusing Yorkfiled with Barcie? Don't flame AMD just because someone wrote some review on some site!! C'mon!!! Without Barcy, you'd never be able to buy the new Intel CPUs

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I can't believe anyone with a brain would report some review like this from NewEgg! On another note last week someone told me that a talking monkey told him to give him a banana or else.

Barcy to 4.1 on air?! I like rooting for the underdog and all, but never in anyone's wildest dreams could a 4-way server proc be oc'd let alone over 200%. This guy obviously needs to pput down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Links please. You just love throwing out how bad EVERYTHING about Barcelona is but NONE of the reviewers are saying this. No tech people are saying the SOI process is bad. It's similar to IBMs and their SOI is at 5GHz stock (Power 6).

So please, stop saying that without proof, as people are fond of telling me. It has been said that BA can get to 3.4GHz+. Rev B3 is being tested and may get to 4GHz. The problem with clocking that high is increased power. Even Penryn will be pulling 150W+ at above 3.6GHz.

Just give your biased negativity a rest.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Damn - I just tried to OC mine after that Newegg post - fried the darn thing - I had the 1.9Ghz one.

I had it stable at 1.98 - tried for 2.1Ghz and it fried - I mean it melted.

How much can I sell melted silicon? Do you think a chick going for bigger " UU " will buy the silicon from me?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

That was almost funny. :hello:

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

oh Baron.. you let me laugh so hard I almost fell off the chair. Thank you for the laugh, I appreciate it. :D

Now, on to your first question.
Yes, IBM does clock their Power 6 up to 5Ghz, with 65nm SOI, but you forgot one thing. Power 6's structure is build on RISC, which is inherently simpler than x86. Therefore its easier for them to clock high, when their transistor and circuitry is simpler.

EDIT: let me give a little information on RISC.
http://www.amigau.com/aig/riscisc.html

Second question.
It has been said that BA can go to 3.0Ghz, yet there was no proof of this. You said they can clock as high as 3.4Ghz+, yet you still failed to come up with a link. Oh yeh, link to scientia's blog and AMDzone, or even Newegg, is not considered as "proof". Thought I remind you a little. :D

Third question.
Rev B3 is being tested that can get to 4.0Ghz? Still, no proof. I will call BS on this one first though. Barcelona's gate dielectric is thicker than average, at about 25%. This is what they implement to keep Barcelona's power consumption down. However, at the same time, it prevents them from raising the clock. Given the fact that Barcelona's transistor is more efficient than Clovertown's, Barcelona can clock about as high as Clovertown. However, given the 65nm process, thicker gate dielectric, and extremely complex logic, I don't believe Barcelona will get to 4.0Ghz. Maybe on 45nm, but not on 65nm.

Fourth question.
Assuming that Penryn has to pull 150W to get to 3.6Ghz, what do you think Barcelona can do 4.0Ghz without burning a hole on the motherboard?

Penryn is built on 45nm, along with HK/MG, so it consumes less power, and clocks higher than Conroe.

Barcelona is built on 65nm, with SOI. It will consume more power, if not a lot more, than Penryn.

But hey, I gotta give it up to you Baron. You gave me some serious laughs :D.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
When I started this posted I really expected a few giggles.

Anyway, here is why AMD can not get their CPU to 5.0Ghz and IBM can even though they share the SOI technology.

They devloped the SOI tech together - but remember big blue has 1000's of other patents that go hand in hand with their CPU's. It is these patents that AMD needs to speed their little puppy (Barc) up.

If a solution does not mean success. So AMD needs to find a work around to speed up their processors. Also - the higher clocks mean more tri-cores - READ DEFECTS.

jstall

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006

Given that IBM (AMD's Partner) has already demonstrated SOI Power 6 Architecture running at 5Ghz+ your comment on SOI is uneducated.

IBM's 5Ghz Power 6 is 65nm, somewhat discredits your next comment.

Power 6 dual core has ~ 790 Transistors Significantly more than Barcelona.

And FYI, AMD's x86 base architecture is based on RICS, not CISC.

LOL Reynod, if you could have seen my face when I read the subject line.

All I can say is BULL! AMD can't get a refined Athlon 64 line to go above 3 ghz on air, how are they going to get an immature monolithic quad core above 2ghz.

PS - Sharikou has now pushed back is Intel BK forcast to 2009, I wonder why?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

My money's on over nine thousand.