K9A Platinum overclocking issues

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
anyone have problems with this board? i seen on other sites that they hit 360fsb with this thing. maybe its my processor! i have also seen that on that same site madshr!mps, that they could chose options in bios like voltage change for dram and cpu, i cannot, its all greyed out. any help is great. my bios is 1.8, and would like to know how they did it.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
it is set to manual in the cell menu, unless there is somewhere else i have to set it. i even pushed up the nb voltage, had it to 1.9, still no dice. but the thing is, i cant really change it unless i use the core center software. it seems a good board, lots of goodies fpr the price. but oh well, i will figure it out i guess. thanks for the info. oh, what voltage do you have on your nb? is it over 1.9? i dont want to push it too much with passive cooling. maybe i will go get a waterblock and get my system back under water. thanks again

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Sounds to me like your bios maybe slightly different. I have an option for HT at 'Standard' or 'Overclocking' and thats it.

Yeah your are right to drop it to 800.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
should i flash to another version? this 1.8 sucks. i cannot change my vdim voltage, core above 1.3, the vcore %, nothing in the bios, i have to use the core center to do it. what is the best bios that allows it all? 1.5? 1.3?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Sounds obvious but are you using the + and - keys to change the voltage and %? Your vdimm should range from 1.8 - 2.3. And vcore should go to 1.4 then tweak it with the % you can get almost 1.7vcore out of it.

Is your USB legacy support 'On' in the bios?

If your confident in flashing your bios to a previous version i would try going to 1.3, as thats what i'm on currently.

Edit* does your 'Cell Menu' look like this : http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7074&page=5

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
yes it looks like that, but for ht link speed, it says 1ghz, 800, 600 and so on down to 400 i think. but the ram and vcore voltages do not change, and yes i used the +/- keys, they didnt do anyhting. i will try to get 1.3 and flash back, hope it lets me! but legacy support for usb will cause it to not work? i notice i turn off something and my second gigabit port didnt work. thanks for the help man! checking the leg usb thing now.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Although i've had shed loads to drink and unfortunately cous has thown up in the loo too many times to actually go for a sh**.

Anyhow, Legacy support should allow you to use your usb k/b in the bios menu if you can't already. It took me a few attempts to work it out, so don't feel bad if this is all you have to do ;). If it doesn't sort your problem out i'm sure i'll be a tad more sober in the morning and hopefully there-fore helpful.

Could you explain what your 'second gigabit port is' soz i just don't quite understand atm :p.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
the dual gigabit lan ports, it was disabled when i had the 2nd pcie lan thing disabled. anyways, i flashed to 1.3, it keeps giving me checksum errors every boot, i go in and config it and save, it reboots and its trashed again, i have to load defaults. maybe it was a bad flash? and still, the options for dram and vcore voltage are still greyed out :( but i can set the htt from standard to overclock! anywho, it seems more stable for speed, the core center doesnt have a constant fluxuation in fsb readings like before.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
screw it, i kept having problems left and right, so i just went back to 1.8, no more checksum errors, and it doesnt take 10 mins to boot. i think im goin to chill out with oc, keep it stock until i get water back on here, and maybe an active chip cooler, passive just runs real hot. 112f is a lil much for me i thinks. thanks for the help though!

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hmm i'm surprised the flash didn't work. But, if your happy to wait then it's sounds good. AMD's X2 can handle up to 65C so your 112f is in my eyes quite cool. My 6000+ runs happily at rounded up to 55C 24/7.

I'm yet to venture into the water world yet (not in a deviant way), but it'll be interesting what you get in the end!

Good luck and have a good new year ;).

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
hot dang, figured it out! i had to break out the good ole book! instead of +/-, it was pg up and pg dwn! im so retarded. thanks for the help man!