Sign in with
Your question

What harddrive to get? Maxtor, Seagate, Simple, ...?

Last response: in Storage
April 4, 2008 12:14:33 PM

I am looking at wanting a large harddrive to add to my home network for the main purpose of backup of the 4 computers I have. I have read about the Maxtor OneTouch 4 harddrive and the software. I like the idea of being able to create an image of the harddrive. But can this same technique be done to the 4 computers with this one drive? How would that work?
Are there any other drives out there with good results as a backup drive?
I know in any hardware for computers, they can die and they can live for some time. I have read good and bad stories on several lines of 1TB harddrives.

1. So if I read information on this Maxtor harddrive, can this product be used to create an image of the O/S. Can I use it to do several computers. i.e: I have a laptop (HP) running Vista, a desktop running (built by me) Vista and another desktop (Dell) running XP Pro.
2. I also want to be able to use this product to rnu backup utility on the other drives from these computers. I assume this external drive will be connected to 1 computer via USB or Firewire. I can them map to it from the other computers.
So do I need to partition the drive for the 3 different computers and their image or can I create a folder for each compter and sub-folders for each backup?

Or do I go another route and not worry about the images (Ghosting) or the O/S and just deal with backups?

thanks in advance
April 4, 2008 12:18:15 PM

What budget?
April 4, 2008 1:43:41 PM

Budget: Somewhere in the $200 to $400 range.
Related resources
April 4, 2008 1:58:38 PM

Go with Seagate.
April 4, 2008 1:58:44 PM

Go with Seagate.
April 4, 2008 2:09:52 PM

either seagate or western digital
April 4, 2008 2:15:21 PM

Kind of funny, I just noticed my profile said "stranger". I have been called worse but can deal with stranger.

I assume you are referring to Seagate FreeAgent Pro, I can see it selling for around $300.

And your not suggesting the Maxtor OneTouch4 as it is also part of Seagate.
April 4, 2008 2:23:10 PM

ddwebb said:
Kind of funny, I just noticed my profile said "stranger". I have been called worse but can deal with stranger.

Based on the number of postings you have made and yes they don't come stranger than me :pt1cable: 

April 4, 2008 2:29:41 PM

Thanks all. I assume that I can just hook it up to one of my PC's and share the drive and on the other computers, 'Map' it to the drive and set the backup software to backup to that drive.
Does anybody see a problem here?
Like I said, I have 4 computers to back up: 1 HP laptop with Vista, 1 Dell desktop with XP Pro, 1 Gateway desktop with XP and a home built with Vista.
April 4, 2008 2:29:55 PM

Seagate
April 4, 2008 2:51:53 PM

The only back-up software you need is your windows cd's.
The standard procedure has always been: Keep the files you want and need backed up at all times. When in doubt, format~re-install.
You should know this by now.
Windows got a virus, performance is weird, format~re-install.
Windows takes forever to load, format~re-install
Windows hangs every other minute, format~re-install
Windows has Norton installed on it, format~re-install
Windows was exposed to the internet, format~re-install
You looked at Windows wrong, format~re-install
Windows Genuine advantage, format~re-install
Wind... format~re-install
format~re-install
format~re-install
format~re-install

One should really wonder why pay for a crappy OS full of holes and restrictions from a company that even has the nerve to charge their customers money for protection against their incompetence.
EX: Windows Live Onecare

The only good thing there may be about it is that it's live.
Although I doubt there are any protection software out there that isn't.

Anyway, I've always had good experiences with WD.
Maxtor has always been bad. ALWAYS.
I'm not sure about Seagate as of late, I haven't owned one since my 40meg IDE fried in my 386.
April 4, 2008 4:44:49 PM

Allow kids to play games from the internet - format~reinstall.
Have had to do that many times and it gets tiring. Need to have a Ghost image so as not have to do this over and over and over, etc....
April 5, 2008 11:02:37 PM

Hmmm,
Maybe just making a Binary file of your current c: drive and keep it on a backup drive, that's prbably what I would do.
There's a program I know of called Norton Ghost that can help you do that with less headaches.
I usually had my C: sized to about 25gbs for basic install and apps and some games; whereas I had a smaller 3gb partition for swap file and another physical drive for Music and movies $ packrat junk.
Although I no longer use windows and since then I never had to re-install.
Also I never have to reboot either:
bluekoala@bluekoala:~$ uptime
19:06:27 up 28 days, 7:28, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.10, 0.06
!