ram issue again

vark75

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Hi there

here is my issue. I have an Asus m2n-x mobo which is supposed to run with 800 mhz memory. so, i purchased 2 sticks of 512 mb from Kingston. the model of the sticks are kvr800d2n5/512. the problem is that i can't run it at its full speed. right now i have it at 667 mhz with 4-4-4-12. setting the bios to default will put the memories at 800 mhz 5-5-5-18 (which is normal timing recommended by Kingston) but in this case the system will be highly unstable. i've discovered reading on the internet that increasing the voltage to 1.9, 1.95 v (they are supposed to work normally at 1.8 v +0.1) will make the system more stable but not 100% (in this case i have 2 or 3 lock ups in a day).

can you give me an advice how to make it fully stable at 800 mhz? i also have the latest bios for this mobo. also the PSU is a new one at 480 w.

Mondoman

Splendid
It's certainly possible that one or both modules are defective, and so can be replaced under warranty. Download memtest86+ (freely available as a bootable floppy or CD image file) and run it through at least a couple of complete passes. If there are any errors, contact Kingston about a warranty replacement.

vark75

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I don't think that these are memory problems. Seems to me more like a memory problem, to be more exact, a voltage problem. Because it's weird that increasing the voltage the system becomes more stable. But are there any other tricks besides the voltage increase that I should apply?

TRENDING THREADS