Getting ready... let's start with the case

icucmeuc

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Getting ready to build up a new PC sometime around the release of Penryn. I'll have between $2000 and $3000 to spend (not including monitor) and will be looking to update my dated Dell XPS4 3.4 ghz, 2GB, 7800gtx system with something a little more "special" (awww)

My plan is to wait for both Penryn and the new Nvidia 9 series. I'm patient, and not really dying for a new system, but I'm getting edgy.

Anyways, I have been looking at cases and was wondering if there is anything out there that has the noisemaking "guts" of the system, power supply, MB, HDD, etc... that can be kept in a remote location like another room, but allows you to have your monitor, DVD drive, mouse, keyboard, power switch, etc, all in another location? I'm not looking for an extremely long cables + duct tape + MacGuyver solution, but rather something that is designed for and sold with the intention of what I'd like to do.

Basically I'd like to keep all the fan noise in another room. Just me here for now so I don't have to worry about it annoying anyone : P and it'd be great to have a dead silent computer room.

If nothing like this exists, I'd like to pick up a simple but nice looking case that is fairly quiet. The Antec P182SE caught my eye with the silver mirror finish... is this case big enough if I plan to have the system setup with SLI? I'd like to avoid the glowing plastic type cases. I like metal, brushed aluminum, copper (find me a 182SE type case in shiny copper and I'll be extremely happy : ). I'd also like to keep the case under $250.

This will be my first full build of a system... it's like waiting for Christmas to come when I was a little kid ; )

The P182 SE is not big enough for 8800 GTX SLI. You're planning to wait for the next card, and we don't know yet how big that will be. If it's smaller than the 8800 GTX you may be able to use that case. Anyhow, for a high-end system with two monster video cards I'd recommend a full tower with serious cooling, for example TJ09.

icucmeuc

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Yeah I don't need to use a bunch of HDD bays, so GFX cards using the space of some of them really isn't an issue for me. I have a hard time half filling my current single 160gb drive. Machine will be built 100% around gaming. I figure that's 99% of anything demanding I do on the PC anyways so the other 1% of the time I can deal with a little slowness or less storage or whatever. Thus my focus is processor, graphics cards, and memory.

Somewhat off topic question... how much memory can Vista utilize?

All 32-bit versions of Windows Vista are limited to 4GB of RAM. If you choose to install the 64-bit Windows Vista code on a system whose CPU supports it, your RAM limits vary according to which version you’re installing. For Home Basic, RAM tops out at 8GB. Home Premium users can install and use up to 16GB of RAM. The Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions support 128GB of RAM or more.

//OK, I didn't type that myself, pasted from a site I found with Google :)

BowRiver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006

Lian Li had a limited edition brushed aluminum & copper PC-A60C:
http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=118&cl_index=1&sc_index=1&ss_index=1&type=a

don't think it's available anymore though ...
You could probably go with PC-A08B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112139

from Newegg (or whatever case you like) and find some copper foil somewhere.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=129&step=2&top_cat=87

EDIT: still trying to get hang of inserting urls