Sign in with
Your question

New build shutting itself down, huge cpu temps.

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2007 4:09:01 AM

Hi, I just upgraded my computer and bought a nzxt blackline case, a q6600 processor, i have an x1800xt pcie video card, 2gb xms2-6400 ram and recently my computer has been shutting itself off. I thought it may be the ram timings as i changed them to 4-4-4-12 as the ram specified. But just to be sure i left coretemps on to see what the log picked up. I checked it out after another shut down and the cpu temps rose to 115C. I wasn't using the computer at the time and cannot figure out what could have caused it to get so high. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really love to hear them. Thanks a lot. Ant. During normal operation the CPU is around 40 idle and 50 under load. For some reason it's just shooting up occasionally.

pS I havent changed any bios settings since i put the parts together, is there something I need to change to stop my cpu setting itself on fire?
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2007 5:00:15 AM

natastna2 said:
Hi, I just upgraded my computer and bought a nzxt blackline case, a q6600 processor, i have an x1800xt pcie video card, 2gb xms2-6400 ram and recently my computer has been shutting itself off. I thought it may be the ram timings as i changed them to 4-4-4-12 as the ram specified. But just to be sure i left coretemps on to see what the log picked up. I checked it out after another shut down and the cpu temps rose to 115C. I wasn't using the computer at the time and cannot figure out what could have caused it to get so high. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really love to hear them. Thanks a lot. Ant. During normal operation the CPU is around 40 idle and 50 under load. For some reason it's just shooting up occasionally.

pS I havent changed any bios settings since i put the parts together, is there something I need to change to stop my cpu setting itself on fire?

If you are using the stock socket 775 cooler, check to see if it is seated firmly ino the MB. The stock Intel 775 hsf's are notorious for malfunctioning or not seating properly. Changing your memory timings alone would not cause the cpu temp to rise. I have pushed down firmly on a loose, poorly fitted stock 775 heatsink while the system was running and watched the temps go down as the heatsink came in contack with the cpu cover. Reseating the hsf may solve the overheating proble.
September 27, 2007 1:21:40 PM

I reseated the HSF but am still getting the same readings, around 33 on idle and around 45 on load. I went into bios and changed the smart cpu fan control to disabled as i noticed the fan was regularly not on. Hopefully this will fix the problem. However, I have no idea how the CPU could reach 115C when I wasn't even using the computer and there were no beeps.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 123 à CPUs
September 27, 2007 1:45:48 PM

Voltage problems? What PSU do you have? What CPU did you have? The q6600 very likely needs more juice than your old one; maybe the PSU is stressing out under the heavier load.
September 27, 2007 1:51:55 PM

Could be the PSU, I would set the memory timings to Auto just to eliminate the new memory until you get it figured out. 115C is SCARY!
September 27, 2007 3:49:21 PM

I have an antec 450W which I'm planning on upgrading as soon as I can. I had a P4 3ghz cpu before but this is more like a new build than an upgrade as i did a fresh install of windows. I hope that there was just a problem with the smart fan control that was turning off the fan while it got hotter and hotter. However, I'm not so sure that even without a cpu fan that the cpu could hit 115C when Im not using the computer. Do you guys think the Antec 450W is the problem? I always thought they were good quality. I'm going to get a 600W OCZ one in the next few days and will see if that helps. It's just odd that my temps are 30 idle and 45 on load but it will still manage to get to 115C!!
September 27, 2007 4:11:59 PM

I suppose that's probably a clue isn't it. Would a overburdened PSU cause a voltage surge to the CPU causing it to heat up massively? I'm going to carefully monitor temps until i get a new psu and leave it off when im not on it.
September 27, 2007 4:58:34 PM

Unless the antec is defective the 450 should work for that set-up. You are probably near its limits at 100% load. It won't hurt to get a bigger supply. I had problems with the stock heatsink on my Q6600 and Gigabyte MB. After reseating it for about the 5th time and getting full load temps only to the mid-60s with strange spikes to mid-70s I tried a thermaright ultima 90. My temps are now mid-30s at idle and mid 40s at 100% load.
October 2, 2007 1:36:51 AM

I reseated the CPU heatsink and fan and now idle temps are around 35 and load are around 45. It hasn't shut itself down for 4 days now and I've been keeping a close eye on the temps. I also changed the smartfan BIOS setting to disabled. I think that was my main problem, the fan seemed to be off even when the CPU was reaching 50C or more. Thanks for your help guys and I'll be sure to post back if the problem persists.
!