Temparature too high? (P4)

3-R4Z0R

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hello everybody.

I'm in need of advice for my PC, because the CPU-temparatures are too high.
At the moment, my PC idles (well... there's torrent in the background) at 50°C. In Prime95 it reaches 70°C after a few minutes.

I'm using the following setup:
Intel P4 3GHz @3.4GHz with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu (running full speed all the time... loud thingy) and some kind of cheap thermal compound.
1GB DDR400 RAM
ATi Radeon X1950 Pro
MSI 865PE Neo2 FIS2R

The Northbridge seems quite hot as well (there's a Zalman passive heatsink on it) with constant 50°C.
If I stick my hand into the PC it doesn't feel hot at all. Even putting my finger on the heatsinks does not hurt (feels like somewhere around 26 - 30°C on both Northbridge and CPU heatsink).

What wierd problem do you think this is?

Greetings 3-R4Z0R

3-R4Z0R

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
A reapplication of that cheap thermal compound got my CPU down 9°C, from 50 to 41°C in idle. I'm completely amazed. Seems as if this thermal compound doesn't like high temparatures and then get's useless.
I'm going to buy some Arctic Cooling Silver or some other good compound within the next two weeks.

And why can't I edit my post?

First, you are overclocking a notoriously hot processor. Second, you are running cheap Thermal Interface Material (TIM). Third, you are not using the best cooling heatsink/fan available. Did you actually expect to run cooler?

You should read up and google if you have to, regarding temps. If you had done so already, I wouldn't have to waste my time by typing this response.

You will find that your temps are WELL within range for your system, especially since you are overclocking, and stressing exactly the same components you are complaining about.

As far as editing your post, you need to be logged in to edit a post.

3-R4Z0R

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Exactly because I've been looking around in the Internet, I've got to think that my system is running way too hot (which it was with that TIM). With the newly applied TIM it works more as expected (42°C while typing this, instead of 50°C).

Even though I've read about people having the same fan and heatsink as I do that have got their processor into much cooler state than I, even with higher clock speeds. I think that I'm going to reach those regions with a good TIM and then be good with it (would mean about 37°C idle and 60°C on load).

If that doesn't help as much as hoped, I'm going to get a new CPU cooler (something with heatpipes).

The funny thing was, that I was logged in while trying to edit the post (how could I else have written my reply ;) ). Wierd things happen...

Thanks for your reply

Greetings 3-R4Z0R