What do you guys think about this case?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2007 1:14:22 PM

I'm going to build a system soon, prolly Xmas time.

I was looking at cases and I like the thermaltake Armor series. The one with the side fan looks cool. I prefer the silver to the black. There are mixed reviews on newegg and I'd rather get my advice from this forum.
Here is the case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133020

How useful is the sidefan? Is it worth paying extra US $50 for the side fan as opposed to the armor case without a sidefan? If it is helpful in cooling I wouldnt mind paying the extra $$$. Hmmm...

This is what i'm gonna be putting inside this monstrous case:
Q6600
eVGA 8800GTX
eVGA 680i MoBo
2GB ram 800Mhz
Thermalright ultra 120 extreme
some 2x250GB hdd :) 
some DVD writer :) 
Some 800W PSU.
Havent decided on the last three. I'll prolly replace the stock eVGA gpu cooler as well.

I dont think I'm gonna wait for Penryn. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I have the patience to wait. I've been waiting forever to build up my savings. :) 

Thanks for all your input. Any recommendations/suggestions welcome.

TIA!!

More about : guys case

September 27, 2007 2:09:23 PM

TT ARMOR is one of the best(if not the best :D  ) , i have a black one and i love it
September 27, 2007 2:26:58 PM

Its a bit pricy, but a good case. I have three computers, two using a Cheiftech Dragon and one using a Thermaltake Eureka. They are cheaper and do a good job at keeping things cool while providing plenty of room inside for everything. I personally like the Eureka better, but cases are personal thing, What one person likes, another doesn't.
Related resources
September 27, 2007 2:49:28 PM

Maziar said:
TT ARMOR is one of the best(if not the best :D  ) , i have a black one and i love it

Do you love it enough to spell it properly in your signature? :kaola: 

OP:
Why would you replace the eVGA stock cooler, it's excellent...

If you want two 8800 GTX cards get a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W. If you only want one get the 610W version and change the motherboard to GA-P35-DS3R.

I'd get 500GB disks, considering price/capacity ratios these days.

LG makes excellent DVD writers under $40 AFAIK. If you want something even better in the $80 range I'd recommend the PX-810SA.

The Armor is nice, and great value for the price. You can do better but it will cost you a lot more (Silverstone TJ09, Lian-Li PC-V2000, etc.)
September 27, 2007 3:04:34 PM

aevm said:
Do you love it enough to spell it properly in your signature? :kaola: 

OP:
Why would you replace the eVGA stock cooler, it's excellent...

If you want two 8800 GTX cards get a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W. If you only want one get the 610W version and change the motherboard to GA-P35-DS3R.

I'd get 500GB disks, considering price/capacity ratios these days.

LG makes excellent DVD writers under $40 AFAIK. If you want something even better in the $80 range I'd recommend the PX-810SA.

The Armor is nice, and great value for the price. You can do better but it will cost you a lot more (Silverstone TJ09, Lian-Li PC-V2000, etc.)

About the eVGA cooler: I was on the SLI forums, the dude said I should replace it with another thermalright model, I believe. If its not that necessary then I wont do it.

Yeah, I plan to go SLI eventually. But I dunno, it will be a toss up between SLI and upgrading to the 9x series or 10x series depending on when I do it.

Agreed, I do like the Armor cases. But was just wondering if the sidefan is worth the extra $50. You know, with a fan at the top, rear and the front, I wonder how much of a difference the side fan will make. Although it will be blowing right onto the CPU etc.

thanks.
September 27, 2007 3:05:03 PM

@aevm: LOL

...but, he might replace the cooler to lower noise, although I don't have a GTX so I don't know how loud the stock cooler is. I did replace the stock cooler on my EVGA 7600GT with a near-silent vf700-Cu, but I haven't bothered on my EVGA 7900GS.
September 27, 2007 3:46:10 PM

The stock coolers on some 8800 GTX cards are very quiet. I have a BFG 8800 GTX OC2 and it doesn't make any noise at all. I expected serious noise and it just never happened :)  I can hear some air whooshing around because there are five 120mm fans in the case, but that's about it. From what I've read in reviews, eVGA's cooler is just as good. I wouldn't invest in a Thermalright HR-03 just to reduce noise.

That being said, a Thermalright HR-03 will reduce temperatures considerably. I read somewhere about a 25 degrees difference, for example, that's big. It is a good idea for somebody who plays a lot, because the card will last longer. The only problem is that you can't do SLI with two of those installed because they're too big. Take this with a grain of salt, I've never tried it myself, just read about it in some review.

TBH I don't know if a fan is worth $50. I would say yes, if it protects hardware worth $2000 and makes it last longer. I'm sure it helps a lot, at 250 mm... My case doesn't support a monster like that but it did come with 3 slots for optional fans and I did spend $19 * 3 to add those fans. Maybe I'm just paranoid and nobody needs that many fans, but then I only have 5 case fans and I know people who have 14.
September 27, 2007 3:46:49 PM

How much truth is there to those rumors regarding the 9x series? Hopefully If i buy the GPU in early december and nvidia decides to release it within 90 days of my purchase, I might do a step-up.
September 27, 2007 3:58:08 PM

The rumors about the 9x series are just that, rumors. I haven't seen any official announcements from Nvidia yet. Until and unless AMD/ATI releases a better card, there's not much resaon for Nvidia to release an update.

To aevm and jtt, I have an Evga 8800 GTS and I find the noise from the stock fan annoying. Its the loudest noise coming from my case. I have considered replacing the stock cooler with a Thermalright HR-03, but I'm planning on giving the computer to my son, so I'll let him deal with it as he likes. I may just be sensitive about noise, but that's a subjective thing. What one person doesn't consider loud, the next does.

To the OP, I don't think the side fan is worth the $50. My Eureka case has space for a 250mm fan on the side, but it didn't seem to make much difference with it there or not, cooling wise, so its not there anymore. Then again, I'm not running a high overclock at the moment, so that might make some difference. Can't say for sure.
September 27, 2007 3:59:30 PM

I can guarantee you that there will be a 9x series. Well, OK, let's say I'm 99% sure on that. You never know...

Everything else is just rumors, don't rely on it. They did promise a November release, but that's just a VP of Investor Relations or something like that making promises to analysts long before release, and it doesn't mean Engineering can actually do it. What the cards will do or cost has not been officially disclosed - everything you read about that is guesswork.

For example there were some fantastic descriptions of a 8950GX2 going around in May, I really loved them. It never happened, of course.
September 27, 2007 4:14:10 PM

sailer said:

To aevm and jtt, I have an Evga 8800 GTS and I find the noise from the stock fan annoying. Its the loudest noise coming from my case. I have considered replacing the stock cooler with a Thermalright HR-03, but I'm planning on giving the computer to my son, so I'll let him deal with it as he likes. I may just be sensitive about noise, but that's a subjective thing. What one person doesn't consider loud, the next does.

Sorry to hear that. Your son may find the noise even more annoying than you. When my Dad's old CRT monitor started dying it was whistling on a very high and annoying frequency, and he never even noticed. His hearing is fine otherwise.

If the OP has $1000 for video cards alone then he could also get a Lian-LI PC-V2000 case. It's got sound proofing foam, it's a beauty.
September 27, 2007 4:21:50 PM

aevm said:
Sorry to hear that. Your son may find the noise even more annoying than you. When my Dad's old CRT monitor started dying it was whistling on a very high and annoying frequency, and he never even noticed. His hearing is fine otherwise.

If the OP has $1000 for video cards alone then he could also get a Lian-LI PC-V2000 case. It's got sound proofing foam, it's a beauty.

Sound proofing foam???? Hmm, never though about getting a case with those. Does sound interesting. The GTX is around 520 + 60 for thermalright cooler.

My budget is around 2000-2500 USD.
September 27, 2007 4:30:15 PM

To aevm- I suffered some hearing damage when I was in the Air Force, so now I'm more sensitive to loud noise. Too loud and everything all blends together into a mush of white noise. I've read about sound proofing materials for computers, but haven't seen any that tested out all that good. I've thought about getting some soundproofing that is used in cars and trying that, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Need to make it a weekend project sometime, then perhaps report on how well it worked.
September 27, 2007 6:02:31 PM

u r joking aevm right ? i spelled AROMOR worng ?
September 27, 2007 6:14:41 PM

Maziar said:
u r joking aevm right ? i spelled AROMOR worng ?

He's not joking. :heink:  Check yor sig line. You have it spelled "Thermaltake Amror" instead of "Thermaltake Armor". :pt1cable:  So, do you love the case enough to spell its name right, or are you purposely spelling it wrong and sarcastically indicating a lack of love for the case?
September 27, 2007 6:24:55 PM

OK, I apologize, it's bad manners to point out spelling errors in a forum, especially with so many people here (including me) speaking English as a second language. But yeah, I thought you'd like your sig to be perfect :) 
September 27, 2007 7:03:02 PM

yeah lol ,i will fix it now , thanx
September 27, 2007 7:07:16 PM

Very good. Now others won't see it and wonder as well. I can't say too much about spelling mistakes, as I make them from time to time. Then I have to go back and edit them out, hoping I catch them before someone else does.
October 16, 2007 2:12:56 AM

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Gigabyte P35 mobo. I dont think I'll be SLI'ing anytime soon. But will the P35 have enough space for a thermalright VGA cooler? anyone? any ideas? Also there seem to be many GA-P35-Dxxx. Which one is the best?
October 16, 2007 10:04:57 AM

Go for GIGABYTE P35 DS3R
!