Overclocking problems on my Q6600

Ok, I'm having HUGE overclocking issues on my Q6600 the absolute highest clock that I have gotten stable is a puny 312 * 9 = 2808 OC. I KNOW this has more potential than that, its running at a cool 32 idle and I can't even boot my OS at 315.

Whats going on here? Did I just get a huge dud?? or am I doing something wrong?

I haven't messed with any of the voltages and I'm not sure how this will effect clocks, but i dont think that effects clocks unless theres not enough voltage to power something with a extremely high clock.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

System Specs:

EVGA 680i
Q6600 ( G0 )
Ultra TEC (thermo-electric cooler) on my cpu

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3 answers Last reply
More about overclocking problems q6600
  1. In order to achieve higher overclocks, you need to increase CPU voltage. When you say 2808 mhz is stable, have you run Prime95 for a while to make sure it's not giving any errors?

You might want to read the overclocking guide stickied in this forum, that'll answer all of your questions.
  2. As you increase your FSB, so goes your RAM depending on the DDR/FSB ratio. Make sure that you set your ratio 1:1 until you find your target CPU speed. The RAM will run underclocked for the time being, but get the CPU straight first.

Also, like Dave said, you may have to adjust the voltage a little. Remember, you are clocking 4 cores as opposed to 2. So the same voltage that will get you to 3.6 on a dual may only get you 3.2 or less ( I have no idea) on a quad.

Oh yea, read the sticky too :)
  3. hehe, yay im like a fat kid in a candy store. I read around for quite some time and found that earlier versions of the evga 680i have a hard time with OCing quad cores. I updated bios and slowly crawled up the cpu ladder and now im at 3.27 ( it just COULDN'T let me hit 3.3? :( ) and hitting a sweet 13,106 on 3DMark06. Tomorrow its on to fine tuning the memory as right now I just have what ntune has given me.

:) :) :) :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking