X38 VS P35 VS NF680i VS Alternatives ?

Fayamon

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Hey all of ya,
First of all i m proud to join your forum. I read THG since 4 years now and i just love it. Anyway the reason i joined up is the following:
2 Months ago i bought a P5K, 2 GB CL4 Corsairs and i already had a x1950 pro pcie Graphics. I borrowed an e6420 waiting for the intel prices to drop. Shortly after packing out my P5K i was disappointed at the raid setup the board was claiming to have (which is realised through one internal and one external sata port) as i also already had a pair of raptors i wanted to raid 0. (In my config you can see my old config i moved away from) So i kept the board until last week and then sold it to a friend with the hope of X38 coming out and rocking the ****. Now it doesn t seem like it has paid off as the X38 doesn t appear to be mature enought for overclocking yet. I ll sum up like this. I d like to have the possibility of using 2 high end graphic cards (crossfire OR/AND sli) i also have 4 250 GB drives in RAID 5 i want to move onboard so i need 6 Sata at least and i want to overclock like a bastard my quad q6600 g0 i will be getting. I definitely need a mobo recommandation and i m willing to pay loads :p (want to keep the system 2 years with minor upgrades). PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE gimme some mobo recommandation as i m looking already for 2 days for the best solution for my needs.

Thanks a lot

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
GA-P35-DS3R has everything you want except SLI. Raid 0/1/0+1/5, 8 sata ports, great for OCing. I think you are correct in says X38s arent living up to the hype.

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 is a great SLI board. I am not sure the quality of overclocking you can do with this board. Also it doesnt support Raid 5. BUT you are always buy a sepperate raid controller card.

Fayamon

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Thx for the reply
What about Crossfire on P35. Isn t the second Pcie x16 limited? (i d like maybe to crossfire 2 2950s when they come out :p)