Choice of HDTV for apartment

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 15, 2005 6:19:44 AM

Hi all,
I'd like to get my daughter a HDTV in the next 2 months. She wants something
relatively light and portable as she'll be moving next year. So a tube TV is
out. Plasmas are awfully expensive; I don't want an EDTV Plasma. That leaves
LCD and DLP. Well, the smallest DLP is Toshiba's new 46" one, reasonably
priced, but somehow the picture was not as vibrant as a Mitsubishi, but the
latter's smallest is 52".
So:
That leaves LCD. After much searching and researching, I found this one,
highest rated by Consumer Reports and it has excellent reviews by many
buyers online, a Sony KLV-32 M1 LCD WEGA TV.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...

In the next couple of months, I guess that if nothing better comes along,
this is the set I plan to go for. Costs around $2500 including shipping from
some good online sites including central digital.

Would appreciate any comments!
Roger

More about : choice hdtv apartment

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:19:45 AM

The DLP, LCD, LCOS RPTVs are aimed at the big TV market. The smallest
and lightest that I know of offhand among the microdisplay RPTV models
is the 42" Sony LCD RPTV. A pretty good set, but the current models
still suffer from the poor black levels of LCD TVs which is the biggest
drawback to LCD TVs, be they direct view or RP.

You should check the prices on the plasma TVs. The discount prices
have been dropping on plasmas at an impressive rate in recent months;
15% to 20% price drops in some cases. The upcoming Panasonic 42" HD
TH-42PX50U plasma will list at $4000, which is way down from the $6500
the 42PX20 was going for early last year. In the more manageable size
category, the Panasonic 37" HD 37PX50U is due to hit the stores soon
(next several weeks the last I read) and should list for somewhere in
the $3200 give or take range. The falling prices for plasmas may not
have worked it's way into all the Best Buy and Circuit City models yet,
but probably will by May or June. The better brand name plasmas provide
a better picture for TV and movie viewing than LCDs because of better
black levels, better dynamic range in both contrast and color, and no
motion smear although the latest LCD TVs are much better in the motion
smear issue. And they are cheaper at the 37" size and up.

The Sony 32" LCD model you list is last year's model. If you want to
get a 32" LCD TV, I would suggest you take a look at the Sharp Aquos G
series and the new Samsung LN-R328W which is improved over the 2004 LTP
models.

But when buying a HD TV, you should also ask whether your daughter
will need or want an ATSC tuner or a cablecard slot. The new Samsung
LN-R328W still does not have an ATSC tuner despite the fact that the FCC
is mandating that all 32" and larger HD TVs made for the US market must
have an ATSC tuner (digital tuner) by July 1, 2005. I guess Samsung will
roll out an updated model by then or just sell it as a monitor.

Alan F

Roger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to get my daughter a HDTV in the next 2 months. She wants something
> relatively light and portable as she'll be moving next year. So a tube TV is
> out. Plasmas are awfully expensive; I don't want an EDTV Plasma. That leaves
> LCD and DLP. Well, the smallest DLP is Toshiba's new 46" one, reasonably
> priced, but somehow the picture was not as vibrant as a Mitsubishi, but the
> latter's smallest is 52".
> So:
> That leaves LCD. After much searching and researching, I found this one,
> highest rated by Consumer Reports and it has excellent reviews by many
> buyers online, a Sony KLV-32 M1 LCD WEGA TV.
> http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...
>
> In the next couple of months, I guess that if nothing better comes along,
> this is the set I plan to go for. Costs around $2500 including shipping from
> some good online sites including central digital.
>
> Would appreciate any comments!
> Roger
April 15, 2005 6:19:46 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:03:31 -0400, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

> The Sony 32" LCD model you list is last year's model. If you want to
>get a 32" LCD TV, I would suggest you take a look at the Sharp Aquos G
>series and the new Samsung LN-R328W which is improved over the 2004 LTP
>models.
>
> But when buying a HD TV, you should also ask whether your daughter
>will need or want an ATSC tuner or a cablecard slot. The new Samsung
>LN-R328W still does not have an ATSC tuner despite the fact that the FCC
>is mandating that all 32" and larger HD TVs made for the US market must
>have an ATSC tuner (digital tuner) by July 1, 2005. I guess Samsung will
>roll out an updated model by then or just sell it as a monitor.
>
> Alan F

I've heard there's a Samsung LN-R329D coming that will be (supposedly)
8ms compared to the 8W's 12ms and have tuners. A bit wider and better
looking frame. Some on line stores list it already.

I saw the 8W the other day showing the Get Shorty sequel trailer and
Travalta looked like a head floating on a sea of black that was his
dark suit. Hopefully that could be adjusted out ;)

PS the 8W measures about a 31" screen, the screens are "smaller" than
advertised. (not like LCD PC monitors)
April 15, 2005 11:43:52 AM

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote

>... That leaves LCD and DLP. Well, the smallest DLP is Toshiba's new 46"
>one, reasonably priced, but somehow the picture was not as vibrant as a
>Mitsubishi, but the latter's smallest is 52".
> So:
> That leaves LCD.

The DLP is called a "rear projection" television, which gives you a bigger
picture for less money. There are similar sized DLPs from Samsung, which you
might want to look at. They are becoming quite reasonably priced.

Sony has a 42 inches LCD rear projection, and will be bringing out a more
compact version with better black levels this summer, the A10. The Sony LCD
you refer to is a direct-view, and therefore offers less screen size for the
buck (yes I know it's all very confusing).
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:06:59 PM

Roger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to get my daughter a HDTV in the next 2 months....
> Would appreciate any comments!

Would you please adopt me and buy me a new TV?

I don't eat much, and I have a nice shiny coat too!
April 15, 2005 4:00:41 PM

Hi Alan,
thanks heaps for your most knowledgeable comments, which I'll print out for
reference!! Sony does not have a newer LCD than the one I mentioned, on
their web site anyhow. But a Panasonic HD unit 37" sounds appealing. I
really like the picture on Plasma as compared to LCD tell you the truth!
Roger
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:49:56 PM

theres going to be some new sony LCDs popping up in the next 8 weeks or
less. they always improve their new models with new features, i think the
new 32" lcd is going to have an atsc tuner. plus, you should be able to
purchase it for less than $2500.

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'd like to get my daughter a HDTV in the next 2 months. She wants
something
> relatively light and portable as she'll be moving next year. So a tube TV
is
> out. Plasmas are awfully expensive; I don't want an EDTV Plasma. That
leaves
> LCD and DLP. Well, the smallest DLP is Toshiba's new 46" one, reasonably
> priced, but somehow the picture was not as vibrant as a Mitsubishi, but
the
> latter's smallest is 52".
> So:
> That leaves LCD. After much searching and researching, I found this one,
> highest rated by Consumer Reports and it has excellent reviews by many
> buyers online, a Sony KLV-32 M1 LCD WEGA TV.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...

> In the next couple of months, I guess that if nothing better comes along,
> this is the set I plan to go for. Costs around $2500 including shipping
from
> some good online sites including central digital.
>
> Would appreciate any comments!
> Roger

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:13:14 PM

josh@nospam.com wrote:

> I've heard there's a Samsung LN-R329D coming that will be (supposedly)
> 8ms compared to the 8W's 12ms and have tuners. A bit wider and better
> looking frame. Some on line stores list it already.
>
> I saw the 8W the other day showing the Get Shorty sequel trailer and
> Travalta looked like a head floating on a sea of black that was his
> dark suit. Hopefully that could be adjusted out ;)
>
> PS the 8W measures about a 31" screen, the screens are "smaller" than
> advertised. (not like LCD PC monitors)

Yes, one of the best ways to compare the pictures between LCDs and
plasma flat screen is to look for detail in dark clothes and background
in dark scenes. They get wiped out in many of the lesser LCD TVs on the
market as well as the off brand plasmas.

I looked up the precise specs in the Samsung and Sharp manuals for
screen size: I get about 31.5" diagonally for the Samsung R series 32"
LCD and 31.7" for the Sharp 32" Aquos. I think "rounding up" would be
the most generous way to put it. Wonder what the floor clerks at Best
Buy would do if I were to pull out a tape measure and measure the actual
diagonal size of the new Samsung 32" model. It did look a tad small to
me when I looked at it in BB. Wonder if it is even 31.5"?

Alan F
April 16, 2005 2:34:01 AM

<<I don't eat much, and I have a nice shiny coat too!>>

Sorry, we don't have pets in the house!!! Heheheh....
Roger
April 16, 2005 2:34:01 AM

Hi Alan,
<<Just
be sure to read up on this as a lot of people spend $$$ on a HD set, then
hook it through their old S-video or composite video cable and don't
understand why they are not getting an HD picture.>>

heheheh..it gets worse. A surgeon friend had "HDTV" hooked up at his house
at a big installation cost. So I went over to see the grand thing. Come to
find out it was a Sony DirecTV receiver, connected by coax analog cable to
the antenna input of the TV, and he had to set it to channel 3 to watch what
he was convinced was HDTV. Yup, its true. Even more primitive an a composite
setup!!! Anyhow, we spent the afternoon getting a Monster component cable,
calling DirecTV to start sending out HD channels, and an hour later voila,
he was finally into HD. But..two of the 5 channels they offer could not be
seen for some strange reason. Ah well, 3 out of 5 isn't bad!
Roger
April 16, 2005 2:34:02 AM

Dave,
I really think DLP's vary in quality according to price or even my make.
Plus the new Toshiba 42" DLP looks kind of huge because of having speakers
on the side...
Roger
April 16, 2005 2:34:02 AM

Hi, I think Alan has me sold on the idea of a Panasonic Plasma. Soon to be
released 37" with a big price drop.
Roger
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:34:03 AM

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote

>...the new Toshiba 42" DLP looks kind of huge because of having speakers on
>the side...

Agreed. I prefer the slimmer look of Samsung and JVC sets for this reason.
The upcoming A10 Sony models (42 and 50 inch) look good too.

Samsung DLPs sell very well. I find them the colours a bit artificial, but
certainly acceptable, and they can be tuned after you get them. And the
prices on the outgoing series (63) are dropping very nicely. They might meet
your needs.
April 16, 2005 5:28:39 AM

Alan, on CNET, they review many Panasonic Plasmas. Some recent HD Plasmas
were said to lack 3:2 pulldown, which is not good if one watches DVDs...!!
Can't believe Panasonic makes HDTV Plasmas without 3:2 pulldown. The
Panasonic website says their new Plasmas do have that feature, though....
Roger
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:06:14 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:19:44 GMT, "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote:

WAY too small. That is a Bathroom or Barely big enough for a
bedroom TV. Maybe kitchen table while you eat.

If you are gonna look at that thing across a room , it's gotta be
BIGGER.

NOTE a 32" 16:9 is same height as a 26" 4:3.

But that's ME. I LIKE sitting 10' away from a 60" Sony HD.

>buyers online, a Sony KLV-32 M1 LCD WEGA TV.
>http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:00:31 AM

"my username" <myusernam@easynews.com> wrote in message
> But that's ME. I LIKE sitting 10' away from a 60" Sony HD.
I like sitting 8' away from my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:05:24 PM

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'd like to get my daughter a HDTV in the next 2 months. She wants
> something relatively light and portable as she'll be moving next year. So
> a tube TV is out. Plasmas are awfully expensive; I don't want an EDTV
> Plasma. That leaves LCD and DLP. Well, the smallest DLP is Toshiba's new
> 46" one, reasonably priced, but somehow the picture was not as vibrant as
> a Mitsubishi, but the latter's smallest is 52".
> So:
> That leaves LCD. After much searching and researching, I found this one,
> highest rated by Consumer Reports and it has excellent reviews by many
> buyers online, a Sony KLV-32 M1 LCD WEGA TV.
> http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...
>
> In the next couple of months, I guess that if nothing better comes along,
> this is the set I plan to go for. Costs around $2500 including shipping
> from some good online sites including central digital.
>
> Would appreciate any comments!
> Roger

check this one out:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&g...

44 inch dlp (hd2+ chip). 64 pounds. looks fantastic out of the box (even
turned off;). I paid $2230 with tax and a 5 year service extension. the
only trouble is finding this set in the US. I got mine from video only
(videoonly.com, although the sebsite is complete garbage), a small retailer
here in Seattle.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:22:43 AM

Hehe, so if I move to 5', I can still have you beat.
Just kidding. But sincerely, with a decent HD source
it really puts you THERE when you don't sit too far away.
I love the size. The wife says that too. (about the TV :) )

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:00:31 GMT, "Mark Jones"
<noemail@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"my username" <myusernam@easynews.com> wrote in message
>> But that's ME. I LIKE sitting 10' away from a 60" Sony HD.
>I like sitting 8' away from my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV.

April 19, 2005 10:22:12 AM

Not sure where you're from or how much you wanna spend but a chain called
"hh gregg" www.hhgregg.com has Hitachi's 42" plasma (42HDT51), with
automated swivel stand for $3499 this week, which isn't a bad price. Still
might be more than you wanna spend though and I don't know if they ship.

!