Sign in with
Your question

Maximus Formula

Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2007 2:46:25 AM

Don"t see any thread here on Maximus Formula.

Any opinions?

More about : maximus formula

October 25, 2007 12:25:25 PM

I just bought one but have not received it yet, overall web reviews are laudatory. Biggest possible downside is lack of DDR 3 support, however given the support for penryn and the OC' capabilty of this board any performance gain offered by DDR 3 will likely be negligible.

Have ordered all my components except for memory, wondering what would be best for this board and OC'ing. Given I will be running 32 bit Vista Home Premium I do not see much point in getting more than 2 GB of ram.

October 25, 2007 1:34:57 PM

mis33, my opinion is that Intel screwed up X38 & is rolling out X48 in Q1/2008. I'd skip X38 & go straight to X48. I'm not sure if X48 boards will support only DDR3 which is a rip-off. If you can't wait, I'd get a good P35 board, which is the best bang right now. i.e. ASUS P5K DELUXE.

blazingcatfur, don't miss this out. I am getting my 2nd kit. 1st is Tracer.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24641&vpn=BL...
Related resources
October 28, 2007 1:55:27 AM

Blazingcatfur said:
I just bought one but have not received it yet, overall web reviews are laudatory. Biggest possible downside is lack of DDR 3 support, however given the support for penryn and the OC' capabilty of this board any performance gain offered by DDR 3 will likely be negligible.

Have ordered all my components except for memory, wondering what would be best for this board and OC'ing. Given I will be running 32 bit Vista Home Premium I do not see much point in getting more than 2 GB of ram.

Do you plan to water-cool your new board?
October 29, 2007 7:40:27 PM

akhilles said:
ASUS P5K DELUXE

You mean the P5K-E right? Why waste $$$ on the extra copper?
October 30, 2007 12:55:01 AM

The price difference here in Toronto between the Maximus Formula SE and P5E is only $30. No big deal.....

Actually, this Maximus Formula is the SE version. The non-SE version is not out yet. I will only air-cool the motherboard, so, I hope the all-copper fusion block will cool the North Bridge sufficiently.

Compared to the P5E, the Max. Formula has a 2nd LAN port, a few more fan headers, onboard power and reset button, rear CLR-CMOS button, LCD poster, a few more capacitors here and there (don"t know the purpose).

November 1, 2007 1:49:51 AM

has anyone used this board with a mild OC on passive cooling?

i was expecting to get a "normal" maximus formula, but i got the SE yesterday and i havent tried it yet as i am worried about the NB temps
November 1, 2007 3:17:17 AM

khaz said:
You mean the P5K-E right? Why waste $$$ on the extra copper?

Hay and a 2nd LAN port WOW... (proud owner of a P5K-e here ;) )
November 1, 2007 6:57:19 PM

i finally got this board the other day and i got around to hooking it up to the rack last night--

it overclocks well, although im still sorting through some stability issues, prolly due to my insistence on using my old corsair 5300c4 ram. Basically, the cpu can go higher but i think the ram is crapping out at 900mhz and causing stability problems (im running cpu & ram in 1:1)

here is a cpu-z of my oc'd 6320 @ 3.15ghz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=262094

i did have some issues hooking up vista ult. 64 though, so be delicate if your planning on running that os on this board!

anyone have any Q's on this board just post and i'll do my best to answer-
November 1, 2007 7:00:27 PM

to ginbong-

that oc i just reported was on air--no water cooling hooked up yet and the nb never went above 35c

i used speedfan to report temps.

*although i would recommend watercooling on this board, i mean, c'mon its already done most of the work for you!

and you can get a watercooling setup off newegg for $89.99!

just my two cents-
November 1, 2007 7:36:45 PM

I have what's in my signature and I can tell you personally that x48 probably won't be worth waiting for. In fact if you aren't going to use 2 graphic cards, x38 isn't worth it, but the Maximus Formula SE board is totally worth it either way. It's not overly expensive, supports PCI-e 2.0, OC's pretty well, have enough goodies in the box, and has a nice upgrade path. If you don't care about dual GPU's or PCI-e2.0 then go with a decent P35 mobo. Other than that this is a great board and I haven't had any issues at all with it so far.
November 1, 2007 7:52:35 PM

Do not use the supplied tubes for the water cooling, they leak with high flow pump. The NB cooler is very restrictive.
November 2, 2007 2:35:21 PM

echofoxtrot said:
to ginbong-

that oc i just reported was on air--no water cooling hooked up yet and the nb never went above 35c

i used speedfan to report temps.

*although i would recommend watercooling on this board, i mean, c'mon its already done most of the work for you!

and you can get a watercooling setup off newegg for $89.99!

just my two cents-

the reason i ddnt want to fiddle around with watercooling was becoz its a added risk factor with slow leaks / price / effort of hooking up

and i dont know any brands or easy-to-install kits..

can you kindly enumerate a few?..
November 2, 2007 3:10:05 PM

bydesign said:
Do not use the supplied tubes for the water cooling, they leak with high flow pump. The NB cooler is very restrictive.

I get around this by using my own tubin and clamps and my setup is a parallel loop instead of the usual series loop. Therefore there's little to no restriction.

Quote:
can you kindly enumerate a few?....

it'd be pretty easy to use one of these http://www.swiftnets.com/products/h20-120-COMPACT.asp It's certainly not the best performing but for the price and easy setup, it might be worth it for someone that's a little timid.
November 4, 2007 10:55:27 PM

ginbong46 said:
has anyone used this board with a mild OC on passive cooling?

i was expecting to get a "normal" maximus formula, but i got the SE yesterday and i havent tried it yet as i am worried about the NB temps

Is your new board up and running now? How is it so far especially with the temperatures?
November 6, 2007 11:37:57 AM

hmm i might be making a wise decision and giving my max formula SE back tomorow (bought mine november 1 and i can return within 7 days)

along with my supposedly temporary ASUS HD2600XT GPU but since no mobo, it is useless hanging onto this GPU ( i was going to use it till next-gen with DX10.1 and PCIe2.0 ATI/NVIDIA come out faster than GTX)

i am willing to wait 2-3weeks to get the non-SE later revision maximus formula to avoid a faulty troublesome mobo with incompatible ram/psu/harddrives, i was expecting to buy a top-end stable board not a piece of dung stuck to the bottom of my shoe
November 16, 2007 3:49:18 AM

Hi all.

I have had my Maximus Formula about a week now and it has been completely bulletproof performance-wise with a Q6600. With DDR2-8000 RAM and a G0 CPU, hopping into the BIOS and setting the prefab QX6700/6800/6850 or CPU Crazy overclock settings worked perfectly without a single hang or crash all the way up to 3.6ghz @400x9. However there are a few minor glitches that make me worry or are confusing:

1) CPU, NB/DRAM voltage & temperatures - inconsistent or misleading? Please see my post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245945-30-maximus-formula-temperature-voltage-readings

2) Intel ICH9R RAID controller write-back cache - when this setting is enabled on a RAID array through the Intel utility I found that the system choked and ground to a halt on any major disk write. When I tried to recopy my 300Gb+ of data to a RAID5 on this system with the cache enabled it literally froze up for a minute at a stretch while copying files, even with the Q6600 and 8Gb of RAM. Disable the write-back cache and everything is happy again.. :sweat: 

3) onboard PWR/RST switches - do not appear to work at all. I could not find any setting in the BIOS or switch or jumper on the board to enable them. They glow a pretty colour though :heink: 
November 16, 2007 5:11:58 AM

Hey guys, I've read almost every review that I can get my hands on for the Asus MF SE...

Guys, I love the board.

My Q6600 B3 runs 3.0 at only 1.22v (333x9), and my temps never go above 67c, prime and orthos stable, with only intel stock heatsink. Could you imagine better, water for example.

Got the B3 to got to 3.74 on air, but temps were high.

Northbridge is cool, no water, the whole board runs cool with 3x120mm quiet fans.

My Corsair XMS2 PC-5400 4x1024 gig sticks do 1000 speeds at 5,5,5,15, and 2 sticks do 1066, both speeds with 2.2v.

I like the Supreme FX, does a great job for onboard sound.

Everything worked out of the box first try.

Tried windows xp and windows vista, and all drivers worked fine.

I did try to tweak many of the bios settings for overclocking, but found out that the auto settings are better and simpler, so, I just left it at that.

I just ordered 2x3870 for crossfire (yeah I know, the GTs are better), but I wanted the ATIs.

I AM VERY VERY VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BOARD.
November 16, 2007 7:42:00 AM

supposedly a V2 of the maximus formula SE is coming out according to clunk's review thread

and the difference in temps on air between the SE and the "standard" NB with fins is negligible apparently..

so il try and read up on the V2 it might be alot stable without much issues with ram etc...

i bought the max formula SE on nov 2nd but gave it back for a full refund as i ddnt want the hassle of possibly of receiving a dud board, i was expecting to receive the "standard", but the retailer ddnt mention it was the SE lmao

i might get the V2 even though il use it on air =)
November 21, 2007 11:45:47 AM

I,m with DrMaV and cvladan, I have the board and its good. A relative novice at OCing but already got 25% more out of my E6750 with Vcore at 1.3V and running at 32C under load.

No problems with it at all, other than a hot NB which may just be poor air circulation???

If there is a "better" V2 then wait, its up to you, but I'd recomend this mobo.
Cheers
December 5, 2007 4:55:53 PM

sorry noob here :p  any got any ideas what ram i should use for gamming on the maximus formula i want some thing with pc8500 but i am not to shure that the sli ready ram will work i d/l the owners manual and theres nothing about pc8500 ram on it any help will greatfull apresiated please forgive my spelling
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2007 5:49:09 PM

I can recommend brands: Patriot, Crucial, OCZ and Corsair.
There is no such thing as SLI ready RAM. Not sure what you meant to say.
December 5, 2007 6:00:07 PM

evongugg said:
I can recommend brands: Patriot, Crucial, OCZ and Corsair.
There is no such thing as SLI ready RAM. Not sure what you meant to say.

well check out this site says sli ready on the stick dont want to kick a dead horse but info is the path to better ness and i am so far off :pt1cable: 

but thank you any genral pc8500 stick will work? thats what i am really after?
December 5, 2007 6:24:01 PM

Quote:
OCZ Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 1066MHz DDR2 SLI-Ready Memory
The new OCZ PC2-8500 SLI-Ready Series is equipped with NVIDIA Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP) to optimize the modules’ performance on nForce® 590 SLI-based motherboards. OCZ exclusively engineered select high-performance modules with advanced SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings to allow compatible motherboards to recognize and utilize the added information, ultimately increasing the performance potential of the entire platform.
It's more marketing hype then anything else. If it costs more than RAM with similar specs don't buy it. Also, just so you know, the increase in performance from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1066 with the Core2 Microarchitecture CPUs is negligible.

Enhanced Performance Profiles
December 6, 2007 1:11:24 AM

thanks for the tip
December 6, 2007 4:21:43 AM

this seems like a nice mobo. i hv ordered one for myself to go with my quad core processor, and 2gb corsair pc6400 800mghz ddr2 RAM.
lets hope all gets well
one more thing guys, i hv ordered the xfx 8800gt extreme gpu.
will this card run on the maximus formula??
December 6, 2007 5:41:58 AM

lonelymanav said:
this seems like a nice mobo. i hv ordered one for myself to go with my quad core processor, and 2gb corsair pc6400 800mghz ddr2 RAM.
lets hope all gets well
one more thing guys, i hv ordered the xfx 8800gt extreme gpu.
will this card run on the maximus formula??
Don't you think you should ask those types of questions before you order? Yes, it will run fine.
December 8, 2007 10:11:35 AM

hey thanks zorg..
i need to ask one more thing. it might seem strange but i want to know whether an agp 8x video card run on a pci express x16 slot???
December 8, 2007 2:12:20 PM

for lonelymana v

AGP cards will not function in PCIe slots of any kind, even if you modify the port so it actually fits in there.

/Torbjörn
December 8, 2007 3:38:44 PM

i think it will fit.
they are backward compatible.
its wat i think.
am i wron for sure?
December 8, 2007 4:35:55 PM

Lonelymanav:

They are NOT backward compatible. NO. Period. The bus architecture is completely different. Try plugging an ISA card into a PCI slot, same thing.
December 9, 2007 1:47:07 AM

i still hv doubts friends. it might just work
cause one of my mates is using an agp card in a pci express x16 slot
December 9, 2007 6:03:59 PM

You didn't ask if there was an AGP to PCIe bridge card that was available. You asked if you could plug an AGP card into a PCIe slot. There is a huge difference.
That card isn't even available and only works with Nvidia cards. It sounds like a good idea though.
!