Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Possible Bottlenecking?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 17, 2007 5:21:55 PM

Okay, currently I am working on my next build, so, before I go on, here are my specs:

http://www.pcprofiles.com/p/adam21

Now for the actual question...

Right now I am using a bit of a crappy system. I'm a gamer, so it's pretty harsh gaming on low settings :(  . Currently I am running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0GHz with an ATI Radeon X300 (don't laugh, it was my first self-built computer from a while back and my 6600GT smoked :p  ). I was just wondering this since I just got my 8800GTS and am still waiting on my new power supply to come in as I had to RMA the first one, will my CPU bottleneck my GTS a lot? I know it's not a good CPU, but I am stuck with it until I get my 680i mobo and install my E6600.

Basically, I just want to know if it will still be able to get high FPS (at least 70 or so on max settings, I've seen it up in the hundreds in BF2) while I am stuck with this 3200+. Right now I never have lag in BF2 or any other games, unless it's somehow related to me being on a wireless connection, which usually doesn't happen. Also, I don't run a very high resolution, just 1440 x 900 on a ViewSonic Q19wb 19" widescreen.

Thanks in advance! :) 
-Adam

More about : bottlenecking

October 17, 2007 7:08:04 PM

Your CPU will hold the 8800 back some. You will still see a HUGE gain compared to the crappy X300 (I have one of those paired with a P4 2.8 :sarcastic:  ) You should be ok with your current CPU. Even if it isn't, you're getting your E6600 and 680i soon, so you'll only have to deal with it for a short while.
October 17, 2007 9:29:57 PM

lostandwandering said:
Your CPU will hold the 8800 back some. You will still see a HUGE gain compared to the crappy X300 (I have one of those paired with a P4 2.8 :sarcastic:  ) You should be ok with your current CPU. Even if it isn't, you're getting your E6600 and 680i soon, so you'll only have to deal with it for a short while.



Would you explain me the reason of the bottleneck between the cpu and the graphic card?

what would be the best cpu/video card combination for avoid such bottleneck?

the bottleneck happend on X-38 Chipset as well? or just on the p35 and older chipsets?

thank you in advance
Related resources
October 17, 2007 10:41:45 PM

lostandwandering said:
Your CPU will hold the 8800 back some. You will still see a HUGE gain compared to the crappy X300 (I have one of those paired with a P4 2.8 :sarcastic:  ) You should be ok with your current CPU. Even if it isn't, you're getting your E6600 and 680i soon, so you'll only have to deal with it for a short while.


Yeah, I should be getting my 680i pretty soon, probably within a month or so. I already have the E6600, so really all I need after I get the mobo is the RAM, Vista (should be getting a corporate edition soon), CPU H&F, and case. After that I will have everything except the mouse, which I want to get the wireless Logitech G7.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
-Adam
October 17, 2007 10:45:19 PM

relizondo said:
Would you explain me the reason of the bottleneck between the cpu and the graphic card?

what would be the best cpu/video card combination for avoid such bottleneck?

the bottleneck happend on X-38 Chipset as well? or just on the p35 and older chipsets?

thank you in advance


Well, I'm no expert (as you can see :p  ), but basically the bottlenecking can happen when the CPU is much slower than the video card. Err... well, I guess that's basically what it is, but I'm not the best at explaining it...

Anyone else wanna take a try at it?
-Adam

(Sorry for the double post...)
October 17, 2007 11:49:10 PM

The CPU processes data and sends it the the GPU so it can display the image. If the CPU cant supply the original data as quickly as the GPU can translate it, then there will be a bottleneck, and the FPS will be stuck at a cetain number, and the GPU cant be used to its full potential. This is happens less at higher resolutions due to the GPU having more work-load.
October 18, 2007 1:08:35 AM

Forget the SLI mobo and get a 1333 FSB P35. Try the onboard sound *before* you drop a wad on a sound card, the sound on many new mobos is excellent. The E6750 is cheaper and faster. You won't need a cooler unless you are a serious overclocker. The PSU is overkill, 500 or so is all you need. Also stick with XP, you'll have better performance and fewer headaches.
October 18, 2007 1:23:33 AM

nhobo said:
Forget the SLI mobo and get a 1333 FSB P35. Try the onboard sound *before* you drop a wad on a sound card, the sound on many new mobos is excellent. The E6750 is cheaper and faster. You won't need a cooler unless you are a serious overclocker. The PSU is overkill, 500 or so is all you need. Also stick with XP, you'll have better performance and fewer headaches.


Lol, bad time to tell me all that. I have already bought the CPU, power supply, video card, and a few other things. Also, I am going to stick with Vista Ultimate 64-bit with 4GB of RAM because I will most likely do a dual-boot between both XP and Vista. Not only that, but I can also get a corporate edition of Vista for free. I have my sources :p 

Oh, and also, I have had a nice sound card for a while now, so there is no need for me to find a mobo with good/decent sound.

Thanks for the input though! :) 

-Adam
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2007 6:32:18 AM

adam21 said:
Okay, currently I am working on my next build, so, before I go on, here are my specs:

http://www.pcprofiles.com/p/adam21

Now for the actual question...

Right now I am using a bit of a crappy system. I'm a gamer, so it's pretty harsh gaming on low settings :(  . Currently I am running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0GHz with an ATI Radeon X300 (don't laugh, it was my first self-built computer from a while back and my 6600GT smoked :p  ). I was just wondering this since I just got my 8800GTS and am still waiting on my new power supply to come in as I had to RMA the first one, will my CPU bottleneck my GTS a lot? I know it's not a good CPU, but I am stuck with it until I get my 680i mobo and install my E6600.

Basically, I just want to know if it will still be able to get high FPS (at least 70 or so on max settings, I've seen it up in the hundreds in BF2) while I am stuck with this 3200+. Right now I never have lag in BF2 or any other games, unless it's somehow related to me being on a wireless connection, which usually doesn't happen. Also, I don't run a very high resolution, just 1440 x 900 on a ViewSonic Q19wb 19" widescreen.

Thanks in advance! :) 
-Adam
Since you game at 14x9, the cpu wont be much of a bottleneck. At higher resolutions, the gpu has to do more work, slowing your gpu down, even if your cpu is a lil slow. Youll get a small bottleneck, but not alot. Itll be fine

October 18, 2007 5:15:57 PM

Cool, I should be getting the power supply in tomorrow, maybe the day after, but either way, it's soon :) 

Thanks for the help/input guys!
-Adam
October 20, 2007 12:44:54 AM

UPDATE: I just got my power supply and installed everything -- so far so good. I have actually had a chance to run around in BF2, BF2142, Guild Wars, and later I will try out WoW. There's not much of a bottleneck, but enough to where it lags a bit with 8x anti-aliasing. All I had to do to fix it was switch down to 4x, and that's no big.

It won't be too long though before I can experience it in all it's glory (when I get my mobo).

Thanks for the input!

-Adam
!