Help finding a new mobo

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hellooo :hello:

I could do with some help here. I am looking for a mobo that isnt too costly, but has the following:

1- Pci-e 16x slot (dont really care about crossfire or sli)
2- supports core 2 duo (support for quad core is not required but i wouldnt mind it)
3- This is the bit thats causing all the issue, I want a mobo that has 2 IDE slots, as both my dvd-rw's are IDE and also my HDD also uses the IDE slot, and I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy dont wanna spend more money to get sata ones :(

any input would be nice.

By the way, i do game....a lot :)

That's what I was going to suggest. Don't know of any p35 boards that support 4 IDE drives, so unless you get something older, I think that might be your only option. You could go this route:

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115
It has 2 EIDE connections and ONLY 2 SATA's, but meets all of your requirements that your looking for and is only $66 shipped.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
forgot to mention i live in the UK lol, so UK links would be appreciated :)

@ evongugg: Sorry mate i meant 16X pci-e :)

@Maziar: Meh....preferably below the £80 mark, but I can stretch the budget a tad bit.

@lunyone: I currently have a asrock 775 dual vsta which is pretty much the same thing. The pci-e slot in it is 4X unfortunately which is y i thought id change it if i go for the newer cards :)

So the next question is.....if I take the IDE controller route, it would probably be best for me to attach my DVDRW drives to it right? Or will it not make a biig difference if I had my HDD on it considering i will be gaming a fair bit???

If this IDE extention works fine with DVDRW's then my problem will pretty much be solved. Cause then i just plug in my DVDRW's to the extention and use the mobo's normal IDE slot for my HDD, in which case any of the new mobo's would be fine by me as almost all of them have 1 IDE port. This way i can also save some money as a IDE controller here costs about £10....so id rather get that than 2 X DVDRW's fpr £30ish

Also, is there any particular make i should be looking for?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
@ Maziar: I was looking at those ^^

will they support the quad core cpu's aswell? Not that i plan to get one any time soon, im more than happy with my E6600 :)

Also any ideas on the last question I asked?? Can I attach my DVDrw's to the controller card without any loss in performance???? :)

Cheers

EDIT: Thanx lunyon...lets hope it works without issues :). If anyone else has any extra knowledge...now is the time to share it! :D

Edit 2: Ah no worries Maziar mate, i see they can support quad core :) . So whats the big difference between the two to warrent a £15 increase?

Yes they will support QuadCore( as u said )
also about your question , i think it will do fine

P35 DS3R vs P35 DS3L:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_ComparisonSheet.aspx?ProductID=2560,2515
Note : Both are Rev 1.0

Actually the only difference is that P35 DS3R has more 8 Serial ATA

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
dont really care about raid since im only gonna use one hdd as thats more than enough for my use, and i dont have any sata stuff for now any way...and 4 should be fine for the future as well.

So the DS3L seems like a good bargain :)

cheers for the help :)